Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE FOUND A VARROA CURE?  (Read 16884 times)

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
DID YOU KNOW THEY HAVE FOUND A VARROA CURE?
« on: April 16, 2005, 08:58:53 pm »
I was nosing around and read an article that said they have found a fungus that kills mites totally.  It was developed at the W Va University in association with the Dept of Agriculture (I believe). Now they are "weaponizing" (my word) it for commercial distribution.

I wrote to the researcher volunteering to beta test but he wrote and said it was now in the hands of the companies trying to get it into the commercial mainstream

So - pardon the expression - help is on the way!
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 09:34:40 pm »
In the future you might be able to say I told you so but.... do you really believe it is going to see the light of day? Its gonna be lost somewhere until everybody forgets about it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 09:51:51 pm »
Yes, this is a fungus that in the past has been used to control termites. Now it seems that it has potential in the beekeeping world. The problem with it right now is that it would cost about $50 a strip to purchase. They are looking for a manufacturer to make it cost effective and appliable for and by beekeepers. Unfortunately, as Jerry has alluded to, if it is effective and wipes out the mites as reported, who (what manufacturer) is going to want to spend all that money developing the product only to need it for a couple generations untill all the mites are dead (shooting yourself in the foot for repeat business)? Big business, go figure! :roll:

I firmly believe that they have a cure for the common cold, but they can't release it because a third of our economy would fall flat without the need for Robitussin, vicks, tylenol, halls, niquill, etc. etc. etc.!
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 10:58:50 pm »
They should still develope it to wipe out all mites, bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 11:15:20 pm »
According to people "in the know" on beesource there have been problems duplicating the original results and there are still all the problems of getting approval and getting it maufactured.  The fungus, which used to be available for Termites, is no longer on the market.

I wouldn't count on it until it's actually available and you try it to see if it works.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Such Cynicism!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 04:06:35 pm »
Well you may be right - but using your logic we would still have Polio.
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 05:53:54 pm »
>but using your logic we would still have Polio

I'm not sure I follow you?  My logic is that when it's available, it will be available, but right now it is not available and currently it does not appear it will be available anytime soon and there is some question as to how effective it will be.  When it is available, I'm game to try it and see what it does and if it works.  In fact I tried to buy it as the termite remedy to try it, but it was no longer available.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 05:54:41 pm »
Polio would have crippled the whole system.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 02:15:11 pm »
Quote from: Jay
Yes, this is a fungus that in the past has been used to control termites.... Unfortunately, as Jerry has alluded to, if it is effective and wipes out the mites as reported, who (what manufacturer) is going to want to spend all that money developing the product only to need it for a couple generations untill all the mites are dead (shooting yourself in the foot for repeat business)?

Well, a young upstart company that wants to make some relatively quick money would...If it would take the time to make this fungus, and wipe out the mites , it could make a pound of money...not much more, but a pound nonetheless. And being the company that wants new equipment, or a company that wants to be known as a cureal for various agricultural diseases, that can be rather prestigous.

Shoot, if I was working in a hospital, I would be talking to some microbiolgist and asking him how to grow this fungus independantly for my hives and then I would administer it to my hives. It seems to me that some hospitals could manufacture some small amounts from thier own labs for the beekeepers to produce some outside revenue for the hospital. It they are good at growing Staph and gonerehia, it seems to me that they should be able to grow this fungus. And in the process, get some money outside of the US goverment's medicare insurance.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
fungus
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 01:25:10 pm »

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 07:34:17 pm »
Hey, guys,

This bio spore is relatively everywhere in the enviorment. So to use it as a weapon against mites is pretty benign to the enviorment, and to humans and animals and most of all, to bees..

If you could find some way to collect ...say 100-1000 mites and place them in a baby  jar, and introduce this spore into the jar, and keep the thing warm for 48 hours [and by 'warm' probably setting it on top of the refrigerator will do], and add sterile water of say 1 quart, you should have enough of this spore for many sheets of hand towels, enough to treat a large number of hives, ie 25-50 fairly easily. [This is assuming that you use the solution as a soaking agent on those towels and applied them wet tothe hives.]

So, how hard is it to find this spore growing on the body of a dead mite?

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 11:07:23 pm »
(what manufacturer) is going to want to spend all that money developing the product only to need it for a couple generations untill all the mites are dead (shooting yourself in the foot for repeat business)? Big business, go figure! Rolling Eyes

I firmly believe that they have a cure for the common cold, but they can't release it because a third of our economy would fall flat without the need for Robitussin, vicks, tylenol, halls, niquill, etc. etc. etc.!

My comment about polio still existing with that logic was adressing this comment. I doubt of the industry that mites support is a huge cash cow - or at least has any organized  or  coordinated conspiratorial body behind it.

I also found a site that sells an 'organic non toxic" soap that works on body lice etc through some sort of enzymic action. I wonder if spraying the bees with it would kill the mites but not the bees!?? That would be worth an experiment maybe??  Here is what the manufacturer says

"A unique organic blend of enzymes specifically designed to assist in removing and eliminating dirt, germs, bacteria, odors and pests  including lice, scabies, crabs, fleas, mites and more, naturally!"

The link is here:  http://www.naturalginesis.com/id33.htm if it kills scabies  and human lice - why not Varroa!???
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 10:32:57 am »
Quote from: fiveson

I also found a site that sells an 'organic non toxic" soap that works on body lice etc through some sort of enzymic action. I wonder if spraying the bees with it would kill the mites but not the bees!?? That would be worth an experiment maybe??

A little soap in water is the best way to kill bees when you need to,  so I have my doubts it will work.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Bees and Soap
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 10:38:23 am »
I am sure you are right. I wonder though if at some point there is enough of this stuff to kill mites but not bees? It would be interesting to try on like four or five bees at a time. I feel myself slipping into my Mengele mode.....
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline manybees

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 01:24:06 am »
there are a lot of rumors floating around about metarhyzium. In some laboratory tests it has been effective in varroa control.  The ambient conditions required for the fungus to thrive in the beehive however are not easily replicated and a stable and reliable method of delivery hasn't been developed (last I checked).  Unfortunately for you and I, the ARS saw fit to give the Patent rights for the development of the treatment to Souix Honey Association.  Their intentions are to offer any future mite control first to their own members and then to other beekeepers at who knows what cost?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
About eliminating all mites...
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 12:52:16 pm »
I strongly disagree that anyone should kill all mites.  It is clearly nessesary to attempt to rid the U.S. and Australia and anywhere else that the mites are not native but, many mites can't even feed on Apis Mellifera bees.  Think about it, only two species of Varroa can and only one species of trechial mite can.  Some species of Bumble bees and other carpender bees thrive with mites.

NOTE: I strongly agree that all Varroa (Varroa destructor, Varroa jabasconi) mites outide of their native area and trechial mites (Acarpis woodi) should be eliminated.

Offline bill

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 01:10:20 am »
why can't we buy the metarizium they use for termites and put in a beehive then we wouldn't have to wait. has anyone done this? I also read that they use the same fungus to spray grasshopper type locusts in AUSTRAlia under the name bio guard or bio something. if it is the same fungus it should not be too hard to get
billiet

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Can You Imagine...!?
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 01:16:04 am »
If it were just that easy/ How do we get to try some of that
metarizium they use for termites
!!!??

I say its worth a controlled test. At worst we lose a few bees (already the worst) - at best we lose no bees!
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 11:27:10 am »
>why can't we buy the metarizium they use for termites and put in a beehive then we wouldn't have to wait. has anyone done this?

Because the termite treatment is no longer on the market.
-------------------