Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Desk top won't load  (Read 4906 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Desk top won't load
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
I'm on Windows XP, set with auto up dates, service pack current. IE8 but use Firefox

Yesterday evening, I rebooted with use of a password. Desktop wouldn't finish loading up. It would act as if it restarted again with out shuting down and go back to enter password. By use of recovery it's running but lost everything saved.

Would anyone know what causes this and what to do if it happens again with out the loss?

edit:

Picasa is recovering images - Eventually, I hope to figure out the rest asap then I will start over with a disk that is suppose to clean everything up. In a google search, the closest result I can find to the symptom is a memory problem, there was quite a bit saved in the form of documents, pdf, links, add ons to the browser ect. had some items saved on disc's. time to move on to other methods of file storage.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:05:01 pm by wd »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Desk top won't load
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:40 pm »
I searched "windows xp desktop wont load on Google and found a lot of different errors are invloved around yous. Without knowing all details I cant suggest anything. One think I did see for most of the recovery is people starting in safe mode. Sorry I could not help anymore. CNET is a good place to look for help.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »
yes, details are important and there are similar errors. I'm I just not sure what details I should mention.

a window pops once in awhile about memory on FF and an error message about it anytime IE is used. Another, problem seems to be a driver or so the ms wizard says. Microsoft also says to look for this missing driver online, I've tried that with the links they provide with no success. The driver issue is in the start up and shut down mode. The machine shuts off and restarts occasionally by itself. this didn't happen until the out of memory windows began. May I ask what will safe mode do?

I realize this may be only part of the problem, McAfee doesn't come up with any thing in that sense. Right now my mind is on recovering what I can and starting over. I'm open to any suggestions / answers.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:05:32 pm »
Edit:

If it was/is a memory error, I forgot those messages had popped up until I read where someone else was having a similar problem. For myself, it was taken care of then by allowing more, the machine was working alright just slow to load. With the driver error, I followed all the instructions given. I couldn't locate it anywhere on the net and dismissed it.

Today,

I'm not getting an error message for anything. a month down the road it may be back to square one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:59:54 pm by wd »

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:08:04 am »
First off I would get a USB external hard drive and make copies/backups on to that. Next do a disk clean and defragment. Reboot between each. This should be done at least once a month or more depending on how much you use your computer for. If you do a lot of online stuff your computer gets clogged up with old cashe files.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:46:45 am »
at times I am online a lot for various reason's ... understood

Offline dyess002

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »
It could be a lot of reasons, Updates will cause issues with your PC also with windows any little thing you don't do right it leaves errors with your registry which can cause problems, Malware can cause havoc on a PC,Old drivers can cause crazy things to happen, go to your computers's website and get proper drivers before you get a second party to do it.

You wanted to know what to do if it happened again, one thing you can do is Duel Boot with the free operating system called Ubuntu and when Windows let's you down you can use Ubuntu to help save files in your existing Windows.And you may like Ubuntu after you use it a while, Ubuntu don't get viruses or malware or have to have a registry cleaner, or have driver problems. On most computers Ubuntu just works out of the box. But anyways it would be a great System to fall back on.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:02:01 pm »
sorry - just noticed your post

The same messages did appear once, I've heard good things about Ubuntu but never tried it. When I have some time I will take a look.

Thanks!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:07:24 pm »
You can actually try Ubuntu by booting off the install CD without having to install and setup dual boot.   This way you can try it to see if you like it.

Just going out on a limb here, but are you seeing any blue screen crashes?  May be a memory dimm going/gone bad.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:34 pm »
Robo, no there isn't any blue screen crash's. Just the memory and a driver error message which I haven't seen for a little over 2 weeks and just once since the original problem. The desk top would begin to load then the machine would automatically restart and go to the enter password screen. By using recovery, it allowed full access to the desk top once again but of course all programs I had must be re-installed if I want them.

I didn't write down the numbers to the errors yet so I can't say exactly what they are. What disc for Ubuntu do you mean?

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 07:54:49 pm »
oops, there was a blue screen crash, I didn't look at that way though. I'm thinking an actual blue screen. Had to go find it (5000 tags), I book marked the link given as the end result of reporting the error.

Heres the link
Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver

and a number 3eb44674-be23-4f09-bf66-ad68306238b8

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 08:46:27 pm »
What disc for Ubuntu do you mean?

The normal desktop download,  the install disc that is created is bootable.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything