Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Have acquired used hives, previous moth infestation. Need help!  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Swag

• New Bee
I'm fairly new to the beekeeping world and just joined this forum today. Been going through the forum today and learning, a lot of good info here.

I have two working hives and looking to expand. I bought 9 used hives bodies, bottom boards, tops, etc. I don't know the story of how this happened but when I picked up the hives I saw the aftermath of a room that was filled with, I'm told 300 hives. This room was closed and moths had infested some of the hives. This room went untouched for sometime and when they wanted to sell the hives they opened the closed room and found that the moths had gone viral for lack of a better description. The room had plywood walls and the moths had left their evidence everywhere. Anyway, all of the hive parts I acquired are covered in moth cocoons. So, what is the forums recommendation on how to make these hives serviceable again? Scrap, sand, and re-paint? Any other advice? I hope a gallon of gas and a match are not the option.  :'(

Thanks!
Swag

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Have acquired used hives, previous moth infestation. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:03:03 pm »
If the frames are in bad shape.........into the burn pile, if not just scrape them clean with your hive tool and put back into service.

The boxes are the same, put a little paint on them and put back in service.

Only thing I would warn against is try to find out why the hives died out and was put into storage, or were these honey supers?

If it was American foul brood (AFB), all to the burn pile, the spores can last over 20 years.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
It is not uncommon for wax moths to destroy stored frames that have drawn comb in them. Actually if they were stored and not treated it is the norm for wax moth infestation during warm weather.

For me the frames are easier to just start over, the boxes just scrape clean with a hive tool.
John 3:16

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »
If the frames are in bad shape.........into the burn pile, if not just scrape them clean with your hive tool and put back into service.

The boxes are the same, put a little paint on them and put back in service.

Only thing I would warn against is try to find out why the hives died out and was put into storage, or were these honey supers?

If it was American foul brood (AFB), all to the burn pile, the spores can last over 20 years.
==================
G3..,

How can one determine if it was AFB?
I'm  Preston

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:43 pm »
ask the previous owner what happened to the bees, what killed them out.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:51:01 pm »
Welcome SWAG. Where in Texas? I also came across a great deal on some used equipment that had some pretty serious moth damage.  I scraped the cocoons off, passed a propane torch across all surfaces and have been using the stuff with no apparent effects. 

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:00:12 am »
I always scrape mine clean like everyone else, but I also like to take a torch and lightly go over the wood just enough to darken it, but not so much that it turns black and catches fire. This should help kill anything left on the equipment and helps remove propolis. I have done this for years and the bees don't seem to mind. I would suggest you do it outside though! :-D

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 12:08:12 am »
I really like the smell that the propolis gives off when heated to a melting point.  Bees seem to start coming around too.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:08 am »
Welcome SWAG. Where in Texas? I also came across a great deal on some used equipment that had some pretty serious moth damage.  I scraped the cocoons off, passed a propane torch across all surfaces and have been using the stuff with no apparent effects. 

Did not see your post until after I posted mine. Funny thing! We are using the same techniques.  :-D At least I know I am not the only one doing it!

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:47:04 am »
ask the previous owner what happened to the bees, what killed them out.
====================

Hummm...if he was around! :?
I'm  Preston

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 02:19:40 am »
Don’t know how recent the moths have been in your equipment, but if there is a chance of wax moth eggs in the combs, I would throw the brood frames in the freezer for 24 hours.  Wax moths in their 1st instar are very small and hard to see so they can be missed by a quick inspection of the frames.  However if you’ve had the frames off for a few weeks and don’t see any signs of wax worms, then you’re probably moth free.

Offline Swag

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 08:50:54 am »

vmmartin;
I got the hive boxes near Windthorst, Tx. I live the small town of Santa Anna, 60 miles southeast of Abilene.
I didn't keep any of the frames, I got nine hive bodies, bottoms, tops, and half-height uppers.
I don't know the whole story on these, they were part of a commercial operation. Money to start this was borrowed. Nasty divorce, yada, yada, and the assets went back to the bank. I don't know what happened to the bees. I dealt with a bankster to pick up these hives. They had been in storage for over a year I think.
Thanks for the advice everyone. 

anything