Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whoa who. first swarm 2013  (Read 3564 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Whoa who. first swarm 2013
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »
Will I got my first swarm of the season. I was at work and the police called to get me to come get a swarm of bees in the park in front of the entrance to the cherry blossom fair Tuesday.I got there and they were 30 feet up in a magnolia tree. then I got the city to bring me a truck lift and I went up and droped then into a 8 frame deep. boy were they pissey. the cold front was coming in and the storm the night before. they were very ill. I got hit three times. one on the nose and three on the right arm. Man it felt great. My shoulder is now not hurting from the arthritis. but my wife is calling me Rudolf for now.

sorry I did not have my phone with me so I have no pics of this one. fut I have a cutout Friday that I will have pics of.

John

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Whoa who. first swarm 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »
We'd still appreciate a photo of the red nose!! :-D :-D
Perhaps a good time to revisit this thread, we all had a good time with this one:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,12521.0.html

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:58 am »
I liked the tread. there was another one that people were telling about stings> I cannot remember which one it was. I told them about the time I was doing a cutout and sat down to take a break and it was the last time I sat down four three days :shock:. I sat on a piece of comb that the bees were robbing. I tooke six in the kisser.  :-X :-\.

John

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:15 am »
John,
Congratulations on the swarm...I'm still impatiently waiting on my first.  First ever mind you, not first of the season.  :(

The anticipation is killing me.   :-x  I know it's going to happen sooner or later...I just keep hoping it'll be sooner rather than later.   :-D

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:28:36 am »
Poor moot.  I know this has got to have you pulling your hair out by now!!!  :evil: :whip:

If you come down here I will give you some pieces of brood comb for your traps.
It will help a lot.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:09 am »
Poor moot.  I know this has got to have you pulling your hair out by now!!!  :evil: :whip:

If you come down here I will give you some pieces of brood comb for your traps.
It will help a lot.
Bailey

Bailey,
LOL! I appreciate the offer, may end up taking you up on it if my luck doesn't change.  It's bad enough getting smoked by everyone else here in Louisiana....but now we have the Georgia folks getting in on the fun and I'm still 0-For!  Sad....So SAD!  :(

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:29 am »
baily I guess miss. swarms don't count   4 youall boys a little ahead o me, but you know I tend to hit the home streach in a hurry
to bee or not to bee

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »
I'm envious.  We're looking at snow storms for the next few days with no temps in the 50's for at least a week.  Swarm calls won't start until mid April up here with the beginning of Turkey season. 

Moot, I have to remind myself of this on occasion but I've found swarms are like cats.  The more you want to pet one the more it'll ignore you.  Find something else to do and the next thing you know it's rubbing up against your leg.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »
I'm envious.  We're looking at snow storms for the next few days with no temps in the 50's for at least a week.  Swarm calls won't start until mid April up here with the beginning of Turkey season. 

Moot, I have to remind myself of this on occasion but I've found swarms are like cats.  The more you want to pet one the more it'll ignore you.  Find something else to do and the next thing you know it's rubbing up against your leg.
Just about have everything planted in the garden for spring planting. Would have been two weeks back but hauling loads of aged manure from a friends horse barn takes time to chop in. In the old days I would have pumped the ground with 8-8-8 fertilizer but doing it natural thee days. I feel your pain and I hate the cold!
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 12:10:23 am »
Just as things were really getting wound up here in Central Arkansas a cold front came.
I now have about 1/2 inch of snow on the grass and it's 33 degrees F out there.
Only suppose to hit around 45 tomorrow and rain.
Not suppose to hit 62 until next Thursday.
Hope it holds these bees are all gonna swarm at one time.
And I need to do some splits, and catch several swarms.
I was out today putting up swarm traps.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)