Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are there any Australian Commercial Operators on this forum?  (Read 9397 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Are there any Australian Commercial Operators on this forum?
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:24 pm »
Hey Everybody,

Just wondering if any of you guys and girls out there would consider yourself commercial? I'm interested in looking at how the commercial guys do things as I'm rapidly building in hive numbers and need to modify my practices to an extent...

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Are there any Australian Commercial Operators on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:28 am »
Just search yahoo "Australia beekeeping Associations" you may find what you are looking for.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:07 am »
G'day Jim, thanks for reply mate... I'm actually asking if any members on this forum are commercial or whethere we're all hobbyists

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:15:04 am »
Backyarder myself, but I'm interested what practices you need to modify at the scale you've reached. If you don't mind sharing of course.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:28 am »
gday ozbuzz

I'm working my way up as well at the moment.

I have been doing some work with some pros in my "spare" (ha ha) time.
Started with 1
but this year have expanded to 20.
Looking toward reach 100 hives next year.

I come into contact with a lot of different bee keepers, with a lot of different opinions.
one guy i know has 1500 active hives.
Another 500
but i think the guys with 500 make more money due to a more efficient operation.

The only real concern i have is being able to off loaf honey for a reasonable price.

We have been able to yield 100kg p/h by setting up permanent bee yards. (and thats what i would like to do in the future, rather than truck them all over the place, spending money and time on things that don't really make that much difference to the bottom line.

what practices are you thinking of modifying? extraction, process? inspections?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:33:47 am by the-ecohouse.com »

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:33:23 am »
Eco, that's amazing!

I started off with one nearly a year ago, have six at the moment and can see myself getting to 12 before too long.

OzBuzz, I'm also interested to hear what practices you would like to modify. I think it would be interesting to spend some time with a commercial beek to see how they do things - something I'm planning on doing soon.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:23 am »
yep the missus is not real keen on having anymore in the backyard...so she was "thrilled" :roll: when i brought another 4 home this weekend....

Time for a more permanent solution....some where i can plant some red clover

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »
Seems to me that its great having a lot of hives  but its just as important to have enough productive sites where they can get what they need to be a success,  one year in and 9 hives this way , still waiting for that first harvest! im learning patience if not anything else.

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:10:50 am »
Rawfind, glad to hear you're in the same boat. I don't mean that in a bad way but it's encouraging to hear of another newbee who's learning patience too. I'm a bit surprised how long it's taken to build my hives up too and am looking forward to my first proper extraction! I have hand extracted some honey from several cutouts which was marvellous honey. A few of my frames are ready to extract now but I'm doubtful that I'll get enough to make it worthwhile extracting before winter.

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »
wow, you guys are onto hive breeding programs! What is your secret? Mostly done by splits?

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

Hi Guys

Rawfind - That is critical, I have half of my hives are in urban sites, the other half remote bush, the urban bees are about twice as productive in a honey sense.

Shan777 - Looks some have come from splits, all all my hives are incredibly strong, i'm now still on the look out for swarms.
Some hives i have split 2 times this year (its a great years for bee/ks lots of forage).

About another 10 have come from swarms and cut outs.

lol...if i had more boxes i would split again, (we have enough time in the season) to ramp up next years production.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:29:48 pm »
Eco, might be able to help you out with a more permanent spot... depends on where exactly you're located

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:19:32 am »
Top end of the state Oz

Sunraysia to be exact :)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »
Rawfind, glad to hear you're in the same boat. I don't mean that in a bad way but it's encouraging to hear of another newbee who's learning patience too.

Ive been learning as ive been waiting, used to check the hives every week when i stated now about every 2 weeks and not as intensive a check now, if all looks good just a quick check if im suspicious then i check further.

I'm a bit surprised how long it's taken to build my hives up too and am looking forward to my first proper extraction! I have hand extracted some honey from several cutouts which was marvellous honey. A few of my frames are ready to extract now but I'm doubtful that I'll get enough to make it worthwhile extracting before winter.

had frames ready but went back to take them out and the girls had taken some honey out and the queen had laid eggs where they removed the honey, was running 2 boxes for brood but im starting to put excluders on the second box now, i want honey!

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:58 pm »

Hi Guys

Rawfind - That is critical, I have half of my hives are in urban sites, the other half remote bush, the urban bees are about twice as productive in a honey sense.

Shan777 - Looks some have come from splits, all all my hives are incredibly strong, i'm now still on the look out for swarms.
Some hives i have split 2 times this year (its a great years for bee/ks lots of forage).

About another 10 have come from swarms and cut outs.

lol...if i had more boxes i would split again, (we have enough time in the season) to ramp up next years production.

very cool, very cool.

Probably a bit late for me to do a split this year ????

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »
yep one box of brood is more than enough rawfind

otherwise they just get too broody.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »
yep one box of brood is more than enough rawfind

otherwise they just get too broody.
An old retired beekeeper told me to run 2 boxes for brood but i think that the answer is somewhere in the middle, 2 boxes early if they are really building up fast, then one box for brood a bit later in the season when a flow is on, what do you guys think? re Neil

Offline bigsting

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
hi i am new member in south Australia and have 43 hives more to come next year may get to 100 depending on how the comeing spring pans out  because i have a lot of boxes to fill but where dose the point liy hobby to commercial.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
hi Big-sting welcome aboard!

I reckon 100 would definitely qualify!!! for me it gets commercial when you are making more that it costs you.

Offline bigsting

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:54 am »
if any one is looking for large extractors and uncapper there is some listed on eBay as i have already got plant of this size thanks

anything