Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keep feeding 7 weeks old packages? HELP!!  (Read 8410 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Keep feeding 7 weeks old packages? HELP!!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 09:59:47 am »
>Do you have a tip on getting comb drawn after the flow is over.

They only draw comb when there is nectar (or its equivalent) coming in and there is no where to store it.  If they have drawn comb, there is no point worrying about it.  If you have a struggling colony that will need more comb and there is a flow, there is no reason to feed them.  In fact, the risk of robbing is not worth it.  If you have a struggling colony that needs more comb before winter and there is a dearth, then you may have to feed them to get it drawn.  I always feed 5:3 (sugar:water).  I know there are those who think that 1:1 will get more wax drawn.  I have not seen that it makes any difference at all.  The 5:3 keeps better and is less syrup to haul around for the energy you are putting in the hive and less work for the bees to dry it and easier to dissolve than 2:1.

http://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:14 am »
As I replace comb I would like to have some new comb for checkerboarding. We have only one flow and it is from late march thru may. As you say after the flow they pack it all in the empty space. Since I run two different size boxes this means my brood space gets filled and the queen becomes honeybound.

Since I run shallow supers I can not have them draw the frames in the brood chamber, remove them and allow them to rob them out. Having drawn comb has been my nemesis in particular after I lost some stored frames to wax moth.

John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:47 pm »
Sounds like fishing hobby but no water. Extreme sport?

kind of.  definitely a different set of challenges than a long cold winter.
my neighbor got a 3 pound package around may 15th and i checked it with him around june 15th and they had only drawn about 6 deep frames.  i caught a swarm about one week before that and they drew out a full 10 frame deep and quit.. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »
. I have splended flow in some pastures.
When I made 3-frame mating nucs, the frames were full before young queens started to lay.

In another place mating nucs have quite empty combs.

One nuc has only one frame. It brough in a week 2 kg honey. Queen had no place to lay.
Language barrier NOT included