Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blessed event while mowing yard..New Swarm moves in to Tree Hive...  (Read 1660 times)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Well, as spring is here it seems the Bees know a good home when they see one....

I gave up hoping for my tree hives survival..it died this winter. The good news is a HUGE swarm just landed not 5 mins ago just before I was getting ready to cut the tree apart and remove the comb for other uses. My better half was sitting facing the tree and said.." Oh look honey..a new swarm." they moved in fast and I think I was able to record the event. Not sure if my camera got it but will know shortly.
Will post as an MVI. if that works.

All I can say is WOOOHOOOO ! ! ![/font]
http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvitreeswarm1bn2.flv
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:24:10 am by EasternShore »
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Blessed event while mowing yard..New Swarm moves in to Tree Hive...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
You can get almost the same effect by running a video of a leaving swarm in reverse.  That was neat.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
Ok Folks....Now the question is, "How do I get them to move up into a deep?"

I have an inner cover screwed to the top where a 5 inch opening is, then a deep screwed to that with frames. The deep is at a 30 degree angle front to back of the hive. I never got a chance to cut the top even before this swarm moved in.

They are working just below the opening on the inner cover(which is on the bottom of the deep). This swarm was rather big and is very very busy.
I really need help decideing what I can do to help them...unless you all say leave the darn Bees alone for god's sake...
 :-D
I put 10 frames in there with stater strips and foundation every other frame as a guide. If I put a frames of brood from another hive would that help...they have only been there a week.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
That is just really cool!

Dont take my thoughts as gospel but I would imagine that the girls have already built comb and the queen may be getting ready to lay. If there are bees in the box already it may be worth while putting a frame with brood in it to encourage them up.

I would be tempted to try blocking up the hole in the tree to make them exit through the box although the queen may stay in the tree and use the box for honey storage.

Just my thoughts anyhow

Mick

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
frame of brood and a frame of honey in the upper box might get them all up where you want them.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
I thought about closing the entrance..I'm alittle worrried they might get mad and leave..

anything