Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plantain, we need to know!!!  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Plantain, we need to know!!!
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:10 pm »
I have looked at a site that Ann cited, about plantain. I would suggest that this site http://www.innvista.com/health/herbs/plantain.htm be checked out for anyone interested in the power of this plant, known as plantain.  Check it out, you'll be surprised at what you can learn.

Ann, psyllian seed.  I hear of it all the time for health stuff.  I remember a colleague of mine used it for her horses.  One time she wanted to test if psyllian seed really "pushed" the poop through and cleaned the intestines. She gathered some puckies (freshly pooped out) and put them in a bucket of water.  The then drained off the slurry and was was left on the bottom was a bunch of sandy debris. Obviously the sandy stuff was pushed through their gut and removed.  Maybe has a similar effect on humans, clearing the intestines.  I need to learn more about psyllian.  I wonder if psyllian is a generic term for the seed parts of many seeds.  I will learn more.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, greatest life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Plantain, we need to know!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
I have a little story about plantain.  I took a hit on the back of my arm today while gardening.  Picked a handful of plantain leave ( hopefully the ones the dogs, cats, skunks, possums, and other critters don't pee on )...chewed it up and smeared it on the sting site!  Wow, so far it is a very different sting reaction.  I wasn't suited up so I could do it immediately...hooray for plantain!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:09:28 am »
Sharon, good.  Testimonies of remedies are wonderful.  I haven't had a chance to test the plaintain on a sting yet, because I have had so few.  But I am certainly keeping this is the back of my mind, the kids around here get stung all the time in summer, especially when the lawn clover is blooming high, we have lots of plaintain, broad leaf and sword, I heard the flat broad leaf is better, that is OK because there is more of it at arm's length away, beautiful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:24:09 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:38:58 pm »
I think I have this plant... weed growing in my yard!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:20:24 am »
Sharon, that is the type that we have too, it is pretty, but we also have the flat, broad leafed one as well.  I heard the flat broad leafed one is more potent though.  Beautiful day, beautiful life, all that is beautiful, Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:51:41 pm »
I think the broad leaf variety works better, but both work amazingly well. I have both in yard, but narrow variety is hardier and more plentiful. My whole family runs around applying plabntian wed to evrything from bee stings, poison ivy, mosquitoe bites etc. any minor skin irritation
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »
Obviously not the same plantain as the banana type that is a starchy fruit that is cooked an eaten in the Caribbeanhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain

does anyone have the scientific name for it?

kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 08:51:47 pm »
The broadleaf one is Plantago major.  A quote from this link:

Evergreen perennial, spreading by seed, which cling to feet - it was taken to the New World for herbal use and became known to North American Native Peoples as "White Man's Footsteps" as it followed the new inhabitants where they settled. Persists for many seasons, forming a rosette close to the ground, so it avoids the sweep of mower blades. It is tolerant to trampling, surviving on paths and driveways.
The leaves contain tannins and astringent chemicals which, when crushed, make useful styptics for small cuts and an alternative to dock leaves for nettle stings. Lotions can be used to sooth itchy, chapped skin, insect bited and sore eyes. There are also internal medicinal uses where the expectorant effect and the mucilage content of the plant ease inflamed mucous membranes during bouts of coughs and bronchitis.
There is some evidence of antibacterial properties.

It was brought here as an herb just like so many other 'weeds' we try so desperately to irradicate.

The narrow leafed one is Plantago lanceolata.  uses and benefits are the same as above.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:22:20 pm »
It's interesting how many medicinal herbs were brought by the settlers, spread and adopted by the natives as well.  Medicine is medicine.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 10:14:54 pm »
I have tons at my place, now I gotta go out & get hurt to try it!  From scars on my hands & legs it won't take long, I didn't know it was good for anything...the goat & horse don't usually eat it though.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:49:10 pm »
Jody, I know you are like me, I am a war zone with fights with brambles, fences, everything, I always look like I got into a cat fight, my poor arms and hands, it won't take you long to get out there and need to witness the power of plantain,  :evil: :) Have a beautifully, wonderful day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:42 pm »
After reading about plantain and psyllium seed I began to wonder.
 I bet you guys are thinking the same thing.....
Do you suppose that you could make a poultice out of water and Metamucil?

Oh boy,.....here it comes........ :-D
 I am starting to LAFF!!!

OUT LOUD, now!!!...Got that stupid grin between laffs!!!
Starting to draw attention!!!
 Ok,...I bet its good for sumburn!!..Oh gosh,..my spellings falling apart now!!
 ok,...I bet, after drinking my usual 2 glasses a day of metamucil(Yes, Cindi...psyllium pushes stuff right out the "'Ol back door"!!!....WHOOOOOSH!!!..Out IT GOES!!! :shock:) I could make an extra glass full and slosh it on my sumburnt head!!!
 I could also rub it on my hands! Might be better than "Zims Crack Filler" cream!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:13 am »
 :-D You made my evening! I'm cracking up & the cats are staring at me..even the deaf dog looked up!! Now I gotta go take off my eye makeup!  Thank you for ending my day on a funny note!!

Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:01 am »
I'm wondering with my bees on my deck if I can grow plantain in a pot....any thoughts?  Does it have a deep tap root or would it grow in a pot?

Linda T heading for Mississippi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 12:27:10 am »
John, holy man oh man!!!  You have got to be one of the funniest guys that I have ever in my life listened to!!!  I kid you not, I am laughing my guts out too now, thanks, also, as Jody said, you have ended my day with a laugh that will take me right deep into and through the night, keep on being you, you have a very special talent, saying what you feel, and no bones about it, that is pure and wonderful, I love it.  Have the most wonderful night, day, and love every minute of them all, Cindi 

I have read some of my stuff to my Husband, and let me tell you, he thinks you are hilarious, all I have to do is say, you remember John, the one that smeared propolis all over his face, he just smiles and that shows me he knows who I am speaking of, such a hoot and a hollar!!!!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 01:11:30 am »
Hey, i got an Idea!!
 Lets see who can compliment a person best of everybody here!
We'll have a vote for what compliment is the best! The winner will win 20,000$ in cash and recieve a scholarship from Tx A&M apiology department to be used for college expenses. Hows it sound so far?
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 01:16:38 am »
 :) ;) :?  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 07:54:21 am »
>I'm wondering with my bees on my deck if I can grow plantain in a pot....any thoughts?  Does it have a deep tap root or would it grow in a pot?

I seem to find it most often in shady well packed soil.  A path where people walk on the lawn is the most common place to find it.  Try well packed clay soil in your pot.

-------------------

anything