Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 frames full of brood  (Read 1970 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
2 frames full of brood
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »
  This year is my first year as a bee keeper.  Since today was a good day I decided to open my hive and looked to see if they had enough honey and if the queen was there since I bought it about a month ago and didn't have a chance to do it.  When I opened it I saw the queen but I also saw her laying eggs and 2 frames full of brood.  Is this normal for bees in colorado to do this?  I read that queen is not suppose to lay eggs until January/February.
Thanks Art

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: 2 frames full of brood
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:50 pm »
What has your weather been like? Have you been feeding syrup?  Is it a really young queen? 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:01 pm »
Last week it was in between 50 & 60.  I don't know about the queen if she is young or not cause I just got this hive about a month ago.  I've feeding them with 1:1 syrup.
Thanks Art

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:52:56 pm »
The bees never read the books.  I don't see any brood in mine now, but I bet yours are Italians...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:41 am »
   When I opened it I saw the queen but I also saw her laying eggs and 2 frames full of brood.  Is this normal for bees in colorado to do this?  I read that queen is not suppose to lay eggs until January/February.

have you given any pollen patties and been feeding in the last 2-4 weeks? that could stimulate most bee lines to build up strong, if not, your weather could be warm enough for her to be laying, But like said above if they are Italians they do have more tendencies to lay more than other types of bee's year around.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic