Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Controling SHB with modified hive entrance - USDA website  (Read 4693 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Controling SHB with modified hive entrance - USDA website
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »
"We found that by closing the normal opening and installing small PVC pipes above the closed opening, numbers of beetles could be significantly deterred from entering hives."

USDA page on this report

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Controling SHB with modified hive entrance - USDA website
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
I wonder if it has more to do with entrance size than location. The area of the entrance is greatly reduced.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:16 pm »
I wonder if it has more to do with entrance size than location. The area of the entrance is greatly reduced.

Not necessarily reduced all that much it says pipes plural - could be several.  I wish there was more detail about how long the pipes should be and how much should stick in/out.   
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:39:57 am »
If you can remember all the natural, in the wall and in the tree openings you have seen over the years.
most I have noticed is way smaller than the full width 3/4 opening at the bottom of the hives we use.
Do you think that having a 1/2 inch hole about even with the hand hold, to one side would amount to about the same thing as a piece of pipe? Or is it maybe something in the pipe? Or extend the pipe out from the side surface?

I try to have an entrance hole in one of the supers above the brood chambers.

Think I'll close my bottom entrances up and give another higher up entrance and give some top ventilation. I strip mine down every year and clean the bottom board anyhow.
Going with long hives also. See if I can minimize my lifting. :)doak

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:18:01 am »
from the abstract:

This study was designed to test whether colony infestations of small hive beetles can be reduced by replacing the regular entrance of a hive with a 3/4 inch (2-cm) PVC pipe located 3-4 inches (7.6'10.2 cm) above the bottom board. Colonies with pipe entrances had significantly fewer adult beetles (46.9 beetles/colony) than colonies with conventional entrances (107.7 beetles/colony).

I would venture the guess that the beetles, unless they flew directly into the enterance, would fall off the pipe trying to climb into the hive.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:50 am »
Not to mention the elevated entrance would make it harder for the SHB larvae to exit the hive and pupate. I suppose that might help reduce the adult population to begin with.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:37:42 am »
I believe the paper was published 2004.  I think it has been determined the method didn't work as hoped. I believe it was also looked at by Dr. Hood @ Clemson University.

John 3:16

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:57 am »
Not to mention the elevated entrance would make it harder for the SHB larvae to exit the hive and pupate. I suppose that might help reduce the adult population to begin with.

Scott

This is exactly what I thought when I read this topic.  Also, when they exit to pupate, could you not make something for them to fall in which will be the last place they ever go?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson