Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Ronman

• Brood
Newbie question
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:46 am »
Hi all.
I've been beekeeping for a whole week now. I started 2 hives with NUCs. Italian bees.
I have a stupid question that I think I know the answer to. Is it a bad idea to leave the innercover on top of the Brood box, and stack a super on top of it? I figure the bees can access the frames, by coming up through the hole in the innercover. I ask, because I left one on by mistake, and went out today to put things in order, and found bees all over one of the frames above the innercover hole, and they were building comb like crazy.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:53:37 am »
My bees love to build. They build comb onto the inner covers and stick them to the frames below. The inner covers I have don't have holes in them. I'm sure if they did the bees would go in between the inner cover and the telescoping outer cover and build that full of comb too. Most of my hives have even stuck the frames of the top box to the frames in the bottom box and fill that comb with drone brood! Very messy when inspecting and I tear apart the comb with the brood. So would be careful in your case to remove the inner cover as quickly as possible so they don't stick it to the frames with comb.
Good Luck!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:26:44 am »
Short term it's okay. But if the upper box is your second brood box,you will want to move the two boxes together so they can expand the brood nest into the second box. At night the bees will congregate when it's cool and leave the upper box.Things will work more efficiently for the bees without the interruption in the middle.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ronman.  The inner cover is on top of everything except the cover.  It would be helpful if you post where you are.  You may want to join a local bee club also.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Ronman

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:09:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it! I am located in Stockbridge, Georgia. I'm just south of Atlanta, by about 20 miles.

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:06:04 am »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it! I am located in Stockbridge, Georgia. I'm just south of Atlanta, by about 20 miles.

Ronman - please visit your profile and change your location so that others may see your location each time you post.  There are lots of answers to questions and depending on where you are located the answers may change.

Welcome to the forum, Ronman

anything