Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying worker hive  (Read 7298 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Laying worker hive
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:33:53 pm »
I have a hive that I am almost cetain has a laying worker.  I haven't noticed anything in the last month or so going on in it that would lead me to believe there is a queen in there.  I'll break into it more tomorrow and see what I can find out.

A couple of questions....

I am dabbling into queen rearing and was wondering if there is any way that I could use this hive as a cell starter or finisher??

If not, I'm aware of a possible shake out of the bees to hopefully remove the laying worker, but I know that has a very low percentage of actually working.  So could I just shake off all of the bees in front of my other hives and let them find their way to another hive and just remove the laying worker problem that way?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Laying worker hive
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »
I have a hive that I am almost cetain has a laying worker.

why do you think this. not having a queen, or not having a good queen does not = laying worker.  i have had one laying worker hive, this year as it happens, even though i have had hives go queenless or queens go bad.

was wondering if there is any way that I could use this hive as a cell starter or finisher

highly unlikely. 

So could I just shake off all of the bees in front of my other hives and let them find their way to another hive and just remove the laying worker problem that way?

yes, but...
take the hive away from the others a distance and then dump the bees.  if you take an empty box out with you, secure the frames in that box as you clear each frame. the bees will fly home and join other hives.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »
I have a hive that I am almost cetain has a laying worker.
why do you think this. not having a queen, or not having a good queen does not = laying worker.  i have had one laying worker hive, this year as it happens, even though i have had hives go queenless or queens go bad.

The heavy pattern of drone comb is what is tipping me off.  No new brood or eggs for about a month and frames filled sporadically with drone comb.  Again I'm going to really tear into it tomorrow to try to find out otherwise but I'm almost positive it's gone laying worker on me.  I've but eggs and brood into the hive twice over the past month and they haven't even tried to build a queen cell.  

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »
I had another thought... I have a nuc with a good laying queen in it.  Could I do the shake off of the bees if I find that It is surely a laying worker, then move the boxes back to the original location and put the frames from the nuc in there and requeen it in that way, or would I still be destined to fail?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:37:02 pm »
No new brood or eggs for about a month and frames filled sporadically with drone comb

that's the sign.

i wouldn't risk your nuc queen.  you could put some eggs in there and see if they'd come back and make a queen, but i don't know how successful that would be.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:12 pm »
No new brood or eggs for about a month and frames filled sporadically with drone comb

that's the sign.

i wouldn't risk your nuc queen.  you could put some eggs in there and see if they'd come back and make a queen, but i don't know how successful that would be.
:-\

kathyp you are wise.  Do I have any other options as to what to do with this hive?  Their numbers are really quite strong.  I was debating just letting them continue to make honey till they are gone and then starting over again next year or making a strong split from another hive to take its place.  Your wisdeom is greatly appreciated.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:04 pm »
PM Brian (Pond Creek Farm) if you want to try the queen introduction frame.  So far it has been 2 for 2 on laying worker hives.   All you have to do is hang on it when your done and mail it it the next person that needs it.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,23161.0.html
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,17867.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 05:00:11 pm »
The queen introcduction cage works great.  I had only a bit of trouble getting her to actually leave the frame, but after I manually put her into the hive, the new queen was laying like a champ.  Send me a PM with your address, and I will get it out Monday.  It worked for Irwin and for me;  I hope it will work for you too.  Be sure to read the instructions from Robo.  Good luck.
Brian

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
i know irwin was impressed!  it's probably the only way to requeen without her getting killed.  letting them store is an option also if you don't mind sacrificing the hive.  otherwise, the only other thing i know that works is shaking them out.  at least they join other hive and make them stronger, so it's not a total loss.

no wisdom.  just a lot of failures to learn from....and a lot of help from folks on here!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »
>I am dabbling into queen rearing and was wondering if there is any way that I could use this hive as a cell starter or finisher??

A laying worker hive will not build queen cells.

>If not, I'm aware of a possible shake out of the bees to hopefully remove the laying worker

This may accomplish something but it will not remove the laying workers.  There are hundreds of them and they will fly right back to the old hive.

> but I know that has a very low percentage of actually working.  So could I just shake off all of the bees in front of my other hives and let them find their way to another hive and just remove the laying worker problem that way?

That's one solution.  Here are more:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Plus some explanations of what is going on.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:38 am »
This is going to be really interresting to follow the intro cage around the US and maybe around the world :-D Robo from Scenic Catskill Mountains NY sent it to me in Lakeside OR and I sent it to Pond creek farm in Republic MO and now it maybe heading for homer in Smithfield, Utah. This is to cool :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:06:16 am »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »
Irwin,

Just for you :-D

http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/36259/
Thank's Rob :-D Wonder where it will go next.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.