Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone have plans posted for a pollen trap?  (Read 6367 times)

Offline mysticantiques

• New Bee
Does anyone have plans posted for a pollen trap?
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:59:32 am »
Last spring, before it rained for weeks on end, my bees collected so much pollen I had to clean out some of the frames in all 6 hives so there would be room for brood. This year I'm thinking a pollen trap might help minimize that problem. Does anyone know of plans to make a pollen trap that works pretty well. I certainly don't wanna strip them of all the pollen they haul in, but cutting back 30-40% isn't going to hurt any! (Plus then I could eat it!)
Please let me know if there's a link!
Thanks!
"When an activity raises threats of harm to human health or the environment, precautionary measures should be taken even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically. In this context the proponent of an activity, rather than the public, should bear the burden of proof. The process of applying the precautionary principle must be open, informed and democratic and must include potentially affected parties. It must also involve an examination of the full range of alternatives, including no action." Wingspread Statement on the Precautionary Principle, Jan. 1998

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Does anyone have plans posted for a pollen trap?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
I would also appreciate any plans for a Pollen trap, perferably a front mount, or top mount.  :-\

How is the Drone entrance/exit located ?

The one I found on the forum, I can't get a good clear print.  :?

Don't want a bottom type, don't want to lift hive boxs to install and remove, I'm old & lazy   :(

Thanks

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »
From what I've heard, the ones you make yourself don't work as well. They end up pulling off legs, wings, and whatnot.

That being said, I'd be interested to find out if anyone has built their own and had success.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »
Im going to try this one.

Pollen Trap
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
Im going to try this one.

I Like it except how do you open the screen to let the bee's bypass it every couple of days ?
Do you have to remove the box from the hive ?

Maybe I guess you just remove the screen board off the Top ?

I don't believe he shows a hive top cover to go over it, wouldn't be hard to figure out though.

Thanks for the link

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline mysticantiques

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:52 am »
Hmm. Wow. Where can I buy #8 screen? The local hardware store will only order it if I agree to buy 100 ft X 36 inch roll, at $1.18 a foot. That trap looks, well, complicated...  :/
"When an activity raises threats of harm to human health or the environment, precautionary measures should be taken even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically. In this context the proponent of an activity, rather than the public, should bear the burden of proof. The process of applying the precautionary principle must be open, informed and democratic and must include potentially affected parties. It must also involve an examination of the full range of alternatives, including no action." Wingspread Statement on the Precautionary Principle, Jan. 1998

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 03:24:20 am »
I would open phone book and call every hardware store till i found one that will sell by the foot.  It took me a while but I finally found some.  Guy could not find a price per foot so he sold it to me for their cost.  I should of bought the whole roll seeing price you got quoted.  I think you can also get some from bee supply outfits.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:59 am »
Our local ACE hardware carries #8 in stock but it is pricy.  I needed some in a pinch and I think it was like $4.99 a foot.  Ouch.

My advice is to buy it from a Bee Supply Company.  I think most carry it at about $2 per foot.  These are 3’ wide rolls we’re talking about.    I got my last roll from Brushy Mountain, but I’m not pushing one company over another.

anything