Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I think I'm growing steak sauce  (Read 5658 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
I think I'm growing steak sauce
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:48 am »
    About two years back I planted a bunch of seeds my sister sent me a long time ago (early 90's).  I pulled most up this year before I realized they were a desired plant.  Bees were on it last year but have not seen any this year other than solitary bees.  I don't know the name, never have, but they are small white flowers in small clumps.  The plant is about three and a half feet high and the smell that comes off is very aromatic and reminds me of A-1 Steak Sauce.

Anyone have any ideas?  I've had a lot of folks ask me what they are and I don't have a clue.  I'm going to take a sample with me to our Master Gardeners picnic today and maybe they can help also.  I will probably post this around so you may see it again.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: I think I'm growing steak sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
I don't know, but now you have my interest. Please post the name of the plant when you find out.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:32:59 pm »
yeah, ditto Natalie, I'm interested to know what kind of plant smells like A-1 - you might have the secret ingredient
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »
qa33010.  Ditto, tell the name, we want to know.  Anything that smells like any kind of steak sauce has certainly caught my interest, smiling....beautiful days, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 01:22:11 am »
   Here's a link of a picture I took last year.  I noted it as baby's breath but that is not it.  Still trying to figure it out.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/Collage/P1010800.jpg

This MAAAYY be a little clearer'

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/What%20is%20this%20or%20these/P1040664.jpg

I have some folks stopping and sampling the air when the wind is right.  Kind of funny to watch some of them do it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:26:41 am by qa33010 »
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:30:57 am »
that looks like dill to me, but I couldn't swear to it.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:21:12 am »
Looks like Queen Anne's Lace to me.
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:17 pm »
It also looks very similar to Prairie Bishop's-Weed. Whatever it is, it appears to be in the parsley family.

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:03:00 am »
http://www.paghat.com/queenanneslace.html     Interesting read.
I agree with the parsley family.
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:42:58 pm »
Resembles dill plant some.
doak :)

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:50:38 pm »
My wife says Baby's Breath
Gypsophila muralis (Caryophyllaceae)  :roll:
Little John

Winston Churchill

Caesar men cheered :

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 12:45:38 pm »
It doesn't look like Baby's Breath to me.  :?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33:59 am »
Absolutely not dill, perhaps Queen Anne's Lace.  But I have a hunch that it is garlic chives.  They are beautifully perfumed, the bees LOVE the pretty, fragrant white flowers.  Get a load of this picture, I bet this is what you have growing.  It grows wild in my gardens, self-seeds like the dickens.....and boy it it nice in the salad, if you like chives, and really like garlic, chomp away......beautiful days, to enjoy this live we are all livin' and sharin', health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:31 pm »
    I think that may be it Cindi!  I know they are all over the garlic blooms that were planted by accident in the backyard a couple years ago (just need to figure out when to dig one or two up for the table).  The mint started blooming so I have bees all over the place up front and out back.  It's great, especially the smell coming off the hives! 

Thank you again Cindi and everyone for replying!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 02:26:18 pm »
qa33010.  Bees love the allium flowers, all of species.  You can dig up some garlic anytime that you choose.  I am digging up the ones that self-seeded from the garlic bulbils last summer, about the size of a marble.  Next year these would make the bulbs that have the cloves.  This year they will only produce one bulb, but they are yummy......love the baby garlic.  Have that wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi

anything