Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tapered Candle Molds  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Tapered Candle Molds
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:07:05 pm »
i have been pricing them on ebay.  i figured that i'd have wax if i do the crush and strain method.  i can also use candles since our power goes out every year.....if anyone has any candle molds,  especially the tapered molds, i'd be interested in buying!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Tapered Candle Molds
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:56:03 am »
Why use molds.  Simple string can make a good wick when soaked in bees wax.  Also a piece of split shot lead makes a good weight when dipping the wicks.  Cut the weights off after the first 3-4 dunks and to from there.  It's, IMO, more fun.  Make a candle rack for holding the dipped candles by making a t our of a few boards and then wieght both ends of a 3ft string dip on end then the othe and hang across the rack.  You can make the rack to hold as many candle pairs as you like and when you're done you just cut and trim the wick to the desired size.  You can also make tapers or fat and squat candles the same way and by using different colors in the wax make layered candles.

More fun, less equipment.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 01:25:43 am »
Get those holey (holy???) candles by pouring the melted wax into a container of cold water. Really neat.  :? or was it pouring the cold water into the hot wax  :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 01:54:06 am »
Maybe cold water into hot wax
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:44:23 am »
Put ice cubes into your mold before pouring the wax
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 01:54:58 pm »
buy some foundation, roll it up, wow, what a great candle :evil: but it is true, though

or buy a candle, get some silicon or something and print your own kalups.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 08:03:03 pm »
i have heard about the ice cube candles.  i have also dipped candles.  in this case, i was thinking of utility and expediency.  i figured the molds would be quicker than dipping.

if i ever get enough wax to be creative, i would not mind experimenting with different candles.  i have always enjoyed burning them in winter....especialy when enjoying a good longgggg soak!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 12:23:29 am »
Hee yaw!!!  I love the tub in winter and the candles that go along.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 09:58:52 am »
made my first beeswax candle. it took me about 5 mins. took a leftower piece of foundation and some gauze. cut 1/3 of gauze and roll it in the midle of foundation. candle is pretty thin, one could make thicker one-ammount of foundation that is used and i should use less gauze. simple as hell. only problem is, whenever i move the candle, black smoke rises, i think it's normal for beeswx to emmit black smoke-all those residues in the wax.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:56:42 am »
Mici, does kalup mean labels?  that was interesting.  I have so much wax that I have gathered from last year and this, that I really must be on to doing stuff with it.  I read in my travels through books, I have read so many of them that I can't remember which one, I remember reading that a very simple way of getting wax from all the other stuff that wax comes with is to put all the "stuff" into a cheesecloth, submerge it below water and weight it down.  Heat the water and then the wax finds its way out of the cheesecloth and floats to the top, cool the water and remove the hardened wax.  That way there is no debris in the wax.  I don't know how, but I guess the melted wax is so tiny that it finds its way through the cheesecloth and the larger stuff stays behind.  I am going to try it.  I have this really funny hunk of wax that I did manage to get last year from some wax, but it has so much stuff in it, it really looks weird.  I took a pic of it and I will post it, if I can find it.  It is ugly.  I am going to soften it and put it in a bag and try to get the wax out.  You'll probably get a kick out of the sight of it.  The experiments that we all try, what a laugh.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:11:08 am »
hehehehe, got the same odd-looking stuff at home, gotta try the method you described.

kalup..it would be a mould, a cast, matrix for new caastings.

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 01:43:51 pm »
Make them yourself.  There is a company called smooth-on that sells the rubber.  I used one formulation called oomoo that costs about 25 dollars for the 1 quart size.  It will make a mold in about 4 hours that will be good for hundreds of pourings.  Get a candle that you like and use it as the basis for the candles you will make.  Their website is very good and comprehensive.  It is fool proof, you mix it one to one based on volume.  For 1/3 the cost, you can make your own molds and have the candle that you want, not just what someone else has available.
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline natures pride

• Brood
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:39 am »
I am just dinking around with candles too and don't want to spend a lot.  strain wax into milk cartins thru 4-6 layers cheese cloth. You may find small milk cartins like you got in school make a great size/ shape. School kitchen person of kid will save them for you. soup cans also good mold. Drill a hole in bottom for wick or not (using pencil to hold wick out of wax and into container.A penny makes a good weight or that guys suggestion of a fishing line weight.)  Tappered molds.  See flexible cooking pans at your grocery store, muffin pans make a nice size candle and a good storm light.  smaller candles, ice trays. look at the 2nd hand store for other containers, use pam spray oil (generic ok) for release agent for metal.  There is a candle clay to plug holes (in cans). A giant tack like device can be set in the bottom or your mold pour wax, cool remove tack and thread with  wicking needle. I have't purchased or done this part yet, myself.  The big secret is wick size.  Books figure your using parafin or other things and the sugeestion for wick is too small. I am going on memory now , but i believe it is increase by 4.  Wick scales .......-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,....so if it calls for -2 you really need 2.. The other great secret is cut and soak your wicks in wax first, lay them out straightish on wax paper; straighten them more when cool. If wax cracks off  it's ok, it's saturating the inside that counts.  I found anything labelled candle mold making expensive,especially if you just want to dabble.  Have fun!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:23:36 pm »
I never thought of candles but I did some crush and strain so I think I'll give it a whirl
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything