Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: took one in the eye  (Read 1553 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
took one in the eye
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
Sunday morning I moved splits (Nuc's) to permanent yards.   I put them on pallets in single ten frame setups.  Alittle smoke kept thing calm until I finished.   On my way home from yard #3  in early afternoon I stopped by yard #1 that I had been at about 4 hours earlier.  Still had my jacket on but didn't see a reason to flip the veil on.  As soon as I stepped out of the truck I got attacked by 1/2 doz or so.  One got me on top of the head.   How it got through all the hair is a mystery.  I flipped my veil on and trapped one inside that nailed me on the eyelid.  Have to say the one on top of the head hurt more but the eye sting just plain scared me

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: took one in the eye
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:39:36 am »
It is funny how stings never quit hurting no matter how little reaction is visible on the injection site. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:24 pm »
Sunday morning I moved splits (Nuc's) to permanent yards.   I put them on pallets in single ten frame setups.  Alittle smoke kept thing calm until I finished.   On my way home from yard #3  in early afternoon I stopped by yard #1 that I had been at about 4 hours earlier.  Still had my jacket on but didn't see a reason to flip the veil on.  As soon as I stepped out of the truck I got attacked by 1/2 doz or so.  One got me on top of the head.   How it got through all the hair is a mystery.  I flipped my veil on and trapped one inside that nailed me on the eyelid.  Have to say the one on top of the head hurt more but the eye sting just plain scared me

Danno,
Hardwood once mentioned that is a good indicator that you have a queenless hive in that apiary.
How is the eye doing?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »
I don't know about queenless but they will sure get after you when you tear them apart like that!
Those grumpy guard bees don't know what hive to protect or where they came from either.
Bet you wear that veil for a couple of weeks at least now. :-D

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »
guess you can teach old dogs new tricks.   got to say I didn't have much of any reaction.   I jumped in the truck, scraped the sting out with a pocket knife and dabbed on some benadryl spray.   No black eye and very little swelling

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:34:30 pm »
i agree that the scalp hurts worse than the eyelid. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:24:50 pm »
Seems anywhere that the bone is close to the skin hurts more

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »
Danno, I was stung on top of the top of the head and swelled up all the way to my jawbone.  Didn't hurt that much anywhere, just looked awful, so I stayed home 3 days till the swelling went down.  You didn't have anything like that?  Bee stings are really weird.  I would have thought the eyelid would hurt really bad.  Bet you're glad you blinked, though.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything