Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small hive beetles found in Cincinnati  (Read 3348 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Small hive beetles found in Cincinnati
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »
Many of the members in our group in Cincinnati, OH are beginning to find small hive beetles. There are only a few so far (less than 6 found at a time) and no damage or slime found.

Is it possible to have them but have no damage?

Will we expect to see greater numbers next year or is it possible to just have a few co existing but doing no damage?

Thanks, Ray

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Small hive beetles found in Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:02:52 pm »
They were more than likely hitch hikers in packages-your winters may keep them in check. As long as your hive is strong, they arent usually much of a problem. But as soon as your hive gets weakened for one reason or another, they will soon take over and slime it beyond repair.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:52 am »
Don't let the documentation fool you...they CAN overwinter!!  I've seen them for years here in the arctic north, and yes, they don't seem to be a problem this far north.  I've never had them be a problem in a hive kept outside, even if I do often see them in the hives.  I think most of the time my weak hives are early in the year (splits) when it is too cold for the beetles to thrive, and by the time they could take off, the splits are strong enough.

The only hive that was a problem was my observation hive (it stayed warm year round), perhaps they were overwintering in there, but the ground doesn't warm enough for them to pupate until well into summer, so I think that helps keeps them in check.

Rick
Rick

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:31:56 am »
Thanks for the quick responses. The beetles that I saw were in the hive top feeders and there were maybe 10 larvae wriggling around in the sugar water. Have only seen one or two lately and , again, nothing in the boxes themselves.

Thanks,

Ray

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
If you only have a few hives and the weather is cooperates, you might want to try to eliminate the adults. The eggs, larva and pupa cannot survive freezing. Only the adults using the heat of the hive survive freezing weather, especially since your ground freezes a couple of feet into the ground.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:11:55 am »
are hive beetles like cockroaches ? what i mean is: for every one you see are there thousands more that you don't see ? or are they not that good at hiding ?
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:46:01 am »
Don't let the documentation fool you...they CAN overwinter!!  
Rick

SHB do overwinter in Vermont all so.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
I have had SHB in packages from GA.   It has been 5 years since I bought packages but they never caused a problem.  I just killed them when they were spotted.  I have also had them in my spring swarm traps.  Never big numbers and they are usually in traps near a migratory friends yards.  Again I just kill them when I see them.  They have turned up in my honey house during harvest time.  Just a couple.  They have never caused damage!   I should knock on wood when I say that

anything