Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Time for a NUC; Would Appreciate Some Advice  (Read 1932 times)

Offline donm

• New Bee
First Time for a NUC; Would Appreciate Some Advice
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:41:11 pm »
I've never purchased a NUC before this year.  I always chased swarms.  I brought 2 NUCs 2 weeks ago and have been feeding 1:1 since then.  They are in a deep.  I inspected today and found that one hive had only drawn out one side of a frame of foundation; the other none.  Both appear to have very good laying queens and both are up in numbers.  Is this the norm for a NUC?  Any thoughts out there?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: First Time for a NUC; Would Appreciate Some Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »
Yes, that's normal with foundation.  They often drawn one side and not the other.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline donm

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:10:18 pm »
Thanks Micheal.  I guess I expected more progress after two weeks.  I guess some of the problem is a very light spring flow thus far. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
A light flow and the possibility of a lot of empty cells in the five drawn frames that came with the nuc. They will not draw new wax until it is needed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:08:45 am »
If the bees draw only one side of the foundation it is possible they don't have enough bees to cover the frames.  Bees will only build comb, store honey, produce brood, where there is enough bees to cover the combs.  3-4 per square inch.  If they have enough bees try flipping the frame so the undrawn side is near to the cluster area, the area with heaviest population. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!