Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NWC--any experiences  (Read 6849 times)

Bupalos

NWC--any experiences
« on: June 18, 2004, 02:55:06 pm »
Anyone have experience with the New World Carniolans? I see in an old post that Ross requeened a bunch of hives...do you like them Ross? Anyone else?

Offline TEN

• New Bee
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 05:08:19 pm »
Some time ago I assisted a guy that had what I thought were called a midnite bee stain and I thought they were carnolians.  It seemed to me that they love to use propolis profusely.  To the point that it appeared that they got alot of propolizing done and did only a fair job of producing honey.  

I could be wrong.  Sometimes memory doesn't serve me too well.

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 09:30:07 pm »
I know here in Maine theyre quite popular. I guess, from what I understand they get going quite early in the year, and are better with cold weather than most.  I thought that would be the breed Id go with for sure!!  I dont really requeen like I should, and was told they can get kind of nasty when they mate with Italians, which they eventually will, if left alone.  So as a beginner I chose the Italians, and have had decent luck as a second year/still dont know quite what Im doing bee fellah.  Most around here go with carniolans though.

Anonymous

NWC--any experiences
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 09:38:50 pm »
I've been thinking of trying the NWC queens as well.  Lots of talk about fast buildup has my interest peaked.  Also alot of talk about swarm tendency with them.  With early fast buildup, it follows.  Been looking for a place to put a dozen or so hives next year, and I may have found it about 15 minutes from home.

Offline SageBrush

• New Bee
Carniolans
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 10:54:04 pm »
I'm trying out the Carniolans. I purchased two nucs and can say after two days with them that these are very gentle and calm. Very tame, a club member here in GA did a extraction demo recently. No one needed a veil durning the whole thing. They were producing very well, had 5 shallows on a two deep brood box. Normally Jerry uses one brooder, he had trouble finding queens if I heard right. I think he used an Italian queen in at least one of the hives. Now I have two Carniolan colonies in my back yard, very nice ladies so far.

Here is a photo of the Cherokee Beekeepers Club meeting in GA, they just pulled off the honey and are looking at the top brood box.

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 06:36:29 am »
If he used an Italian queen, that would eventually make your bees italians, not carniolans, right?

Offline SageBrush

• New Bee
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 10:10:12 am »
I guess you would have a hybrid. I don't know if thats good or bad.  :?:

Bupalos

NWC--any experiences
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 02:42:13 pm »
I don't think putting a queen of one strain in with bees of another makes a hybrid. That queen was (presumably) already mated, so it doesn't matter now what hive she goes in, the genetics are already set.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 03:14:46 pm »
My NWC hives are all doing well.  I requeened 6 splits from an Italian hive.  At least 4 and maybe 5 of the new queens were accepted.  One hive had a virgin queen and rejected the NWC.  They built up fast and collected honey in a few weeks.  They are much easier to work than the Italian hives were.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Bupalos

• New Bee
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 02:21:24 pm »
Do you mean easier to work overall (propolis, burr, etc.) or just easier on the gentleness side of things? I requeened a queenless hive with an NWC about a week ago. There was a temporary attitude improvement for a few days, but they are starting to mope again.

How are NWC's at drawing wax for you? I was thinking of running a top bar hive next year, but I don't know if they would be good for initially drawing it out.
“And as when Plato did i’ the cradle thrive,
Bees to his lips brought honey from their hive.”

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 05:56:19 pm »
They do seem to glue things up a little more than the Italians.  They seem to draw wax just fine.  I use foundationless or 1/2" starter strips, and as long as the flow is on, they draw it fine.  Like most bees, they seem to need some direction to get started right, either a drawn frame for starter strips.  They are very gentle.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
NWC--any experiences
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 01:42:34 pm »
Quote from: Bupalos
I requeened a queenless hive with an NWC about a week ago. There was a temporary attitude improvement for a few days, but they are starting to mope again.

You won't see the true effect of requeening unitl all the older bees (offsprings of the previous queen) die off and are replaced by offsprings of your new queen.  Hopefully you will see a gradual improvement as the cycle progresses.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything