Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants, ants and more ants!!  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
Ants, ants and more ants!!
« on: May 01, 2005, 11:40:09 am »
I have 10 hives and two nucs.... 5 have ant problems...they are in the corners of the hive tops and the inner covers... They drive me crazy...I would like to know if anyone has tried the ant 'hotel' type of baits.. I thought if I took them and placed them in little cages of small wire (so the bees could not get to them) they might take care of my prolbem....What do you think...ever tried it?? Any other cures??? Thanks Debbie

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 11:51:26 am »
what about something like a small container like the sugar water or so near it so that the bees can have as a treat and direct and kill off the ants then maybe move it away from the hive to redirect the ants? Just a guess here. unless you place durazban on the ground but not sure if that is good for the bees

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 12:45:24 pm »
Other people have posted here saying that different things like MINT or CINNAMON work for ants. I've used mint before in my house to keep out ants and mice, and I never saw any after using it.

Beth

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 12:47:57 pm »
good idea to plant mint then huh? and y mulipl grately as well

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 01:25:36 pm »
I heard the cinnamon works well. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:36:48 pm »
Thank you. Thank you! I had forgotten about the cinnamon, I used it several yrs ago and just haven't thought of it.. It's off to the $ store tomorrow...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 10:10:35 am »
I find ants living on my inner covers all the time.  The bees don't seem to care.  I don't care.  Why do you think the ants are a problem?  Bees coexsist with them all the time.

If the ants are REALLY a problem you can use cinnimon or boric acid or baking soda. to cover their trail and confuse them.  If that doesn't work you can track them back to their ant hill and kill the ant colony.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 12:13:15 pm »
I agree with Mr. Bush.  They shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a strong colony.  A quick story as to how I inadvertantly killed my ant invaders, a couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to permanently kill some tall weeds and high grass near my hive, throwing excessive amounts of weed and feed around not only killed the weeds and high grass, but killed off the ants I had coming into my hive.  The bees were not affected at all.  Two problems solved.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:29:42 pm »
I used the cinnamon and it cut the ants down below 1/4 the population that it was aned I didnt use that much. Gunna try more this next time I put it on.  :D
Ryan Horn