Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead hive question - what to do now?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Dead hive question - what to do now?
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »
My weak hive died this week.    [See earlier post 'Is this dysentery or nosema? http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,39862.0.html  for previous discussion.]  Pic of poopy frame tops is below.

Since they obviously had something, is the honey safe to give to the other hive?   [What stores they had left look like pic below - old brood frame with some pollen and honey on top.]

What about the poopy frames?   How do I sanitize them for the next bunch?     No rush to decide.  It's in the 50s today, but supposed to be down to 6 degrees Sunday night.   Things can stay put for a while. 

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Dead hive question - what to do now?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:08:15 pm »
If it were me I would scrap the frames and comb.  Scorch the inside of the box with a torch.  But that's just me. 
If it weren't for the poopy frames I would say reuse but I don't think I would risk new bees for $15 worth of frames. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
Can I save the frames that are clean from that hive?  or should I pitch them all.... [Horizontal hive - 22 frames]

And should I seal it up so the other bees can't rob it out?

I'm assuming we can eat the honey and use the comb for candles.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
What killed out the bees?   I reuse my deadouts.  I let the bees rob out the honey from them, then put them up for springtime.  The only time I do not use comb from a deadout is if the SHB or moths ruined the frame.  Most all my deadouts are from low numbers of bees due to mites and the crud they carry. 

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:04 pm »
What killed out the bees? 

I'm not sure what killed them.  THey were a big busy hive in the fall.   No evidence of anything except the dysentery.    I pulled a bottom board and didn't find any mites - even with a magnifying glass.     

It was a new package in March.   All comb was new this year and drawn themselves. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »
I would store them somewhere so they wouldn't get damaged and get a package or two and use them with the new package. The comb and honey will give a couple packages a good start. But thats just me.