Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc's  (Read 4462 times)

Greywulff

Nuc's
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:56:26 am »
Hi all,

I have 14 nuc's and they are 12 days on since the queen hatched, and there is no sign of laying but the weather has been poor for the last week so I am assuming it is because of that. How long will the bees tolerate an un-mated queen/will they kill her. And is there a time limit for her to mate?

Thanks

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Nuc's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:44:15 pm »
You should bee seeing eggs/brood any day now.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Greywulff

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:13:35 am »
I hope so Thanks,

With a lot of the brood out but not all would it be of any benefit to give them another frame of brood in a week or so. If she has not started to lay or is there any point.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:02:15 am »
It certainly would not hurt if you have the resources from another strong hive. If by chance they are queenless, they will start queen cells of you add eggs.

Keep us posted,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Greywulff

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:18:41 pm »
They all have queens as for 2 days ago but none are laying.

My main reason for asking about given them more brood is that i fear there won't be an young bees to look after the eggs/larve. does anyone know if the older bees can assume this job of brood rearing or do you have to have young bees.

Arrrggghhh this weather!!!!!!!!! If it was good I was hoping to have all that was to mate mated by now, ah well this is life.

Thanks

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »

I agree with you this weather is frustrating. Weirdest Spring we have had in a long time.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:56:48 am »
You should still have enough younger bees to make some royal jelly. 

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:47:21 am »
queen laying in 14 days is great, but sometimes it takes 21 days. I'd worry if it got to 21 days, they should be fine for now.

Greywulff

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 06:02:48 am »
Thanks Ray,

Would you think it is weather that is restricting the queens from getting mated/laying or what else should I be looking at going into the future.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:10:31 am »
I have 14 nuc's and they are 12 days on since the queen hatched, and there is no sign of laying but the weather has been poor for the last week so I am assuming it is because of that. How long will the bees tolerate an un-mated queen/will they kill her. And is there a time limit for her to mate?

12 days on since the queen hatched,
subtract... Poor weather, 7 days
when the queen was 5 days old and ready for mating, the weather turned bad so she's waiting for clear skies. Hopefully you get a few days clear and warm soon, she'll be needing to mate within a week from now. Any later and she may not turn out so good. I think it's more weather related, yes.

Greywulff

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 08:42:29 am »
Thanks Ray,

Fingers and toes crossed for good weather so. I suppose if queen rearing was easy everyone would be at it  :-D :-D :-D

Anyone point me to a good book on the cycle of queen rearing IE: I know she goes through 7 moults but what and why is what I'd like to know plus much more. I find this area of beekeeping fast becoming an obsession as I think it is brilliant how we can manipulate such small fascinating creatures. Cheers...

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:31:34 am »
This link should give you quite a bit of reading material for raising queens.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoldbooks.htm

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 05:19:32 am »
This link should give you quite a bit of reading material for raising queens.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoldbooks.htm

Thank you Ray. In only 1/2 hour of skimming through some of those I feel like i understand much more than I'd picked up in the previous 1-1/2 years. And not just about raising queens, but bee behavior in general.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

anything