Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cranky Critters  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
Cranky Critters
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:17:47 am »
Anybody else have cranky bees today? I don't know if it was the weather or my bad breath or they just felt like being nasty.  :? :shock: :?

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: Cranky Critters
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:20:56 am »
I was out playing with my bees today and didn't notice them acting any differently. But then I'm not exactly just down the road from you.

On the subject of cranky bees though, the second hive of bees I trapped out of the wall next door I left there in the shade for a few weeks after the trap out was complete. These bees were very cranky and I thought I would have to requeen. But after moving them out in the full sun they are now very pleasant.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:25:54 am by ShaneJ »
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:45 am »
Sunny dispositions? :-D

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:34 am »
That is terrible Bernsad.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:57:48 am »
Anybody else have cranky bees today? I don't know if it was the weather or my bad breath or they just felt like being nasty.  :? :shock: :?

I believe they can be cranky if its humid or windy, someone correct me if im wrong.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:23:10 am »
Sorry, should I consider myself chastised?

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
Yes Bernsad. You should consider yourself suitably chastised... :-D

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:16:46 am »
Interesting comment Shane. I have a cranky lot of bees that need requeening too. Last time I looked at them they were stinging my suit like crazy and three stings got me. These are also in a shaded position, on the southern side of a shed. Maybe there is something in that. Does anyone else have any experience with the affect of sunlight on bee temperament?

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:19 am »
I never thought about this before, but a swarm I caught was cranky when under a tree  in sunshade, but much easier when I moved it home to the roof.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kingsā€
Lewis Carroll

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:21:58 am »
I actually moved my colony last year that sat in shade out into the sun giving the colony maybe an additional 3 hours of sun light and they mellowed right out. They were pretty pissy for the first part of last year but are a great colony ever since the move. I plan on putting most my colonies in the sun with only the occasional shade. My only concern is the wind I have blowing through my bee yard. Fencing is difficult where I'm at so depend on the natural barrier from the trees. Guess I have to weigh my priorities.

Khalen
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers