Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen walking around outside of deep normal?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline beekeeper120

• New Bee
Queen walking around outside of deep normal?
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »
So the wife was sitting in the back yard watching our 3 backyard hives around 530 pm and noticed the queen walk out
Of the bottom deep, walk up he front wall of the deep then walk back into the hive.  She coninued to watch
The hive for another 30 min or so and did not see her again.   My wife knows what this hive queen looks like as we have been in the hive on numerous occasions, and she is sure it was not a drone.   The queen was followed by several attendants.  We did a hive inspection several days ago brood all stages, fresh laid eggs, no queen cells and several empty queen cups ( these have been there for a while).  We are in the middle of pepper flow and the hive has 2 supers getting ready to be removed.   There is also plenty of room for her to lay and store nector.   Do queens talk walks in front of the hives?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queen walking around outside of deep normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
Never seen them walk out.   I have found them out in the yard and stuff, but they were just mating I figured.   I have also seen them above the inner cover, where they would have had to cross full capped honey supers.   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen walking around outside of deep normal?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »
>Do queens talk walks in front of the hives?

I have seen them do it on two occasions when there was no other queen in their hive.  Sometimes it's a virgin who got chased out or an old queen that is being ignored, but twice I've seen them just wandering around...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin