Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: anyone use this uncapping tool?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
anyone use this uncapping tool?
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:25:40 am »
I am looking at buying a uncapping knife . I have never seen this style, your thoughts. Thanks for your feed back. The 1st one on the page
small tool.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/uncapping.html

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Re: anyone use this uncapping tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:29:54 am »
Jimmy:  A long time ago, I saw a video with someone using a uncapping tool like the one in the picture. He user coomented that he liked the tool and it made uncapping easy.  Sorry, I don't have any more information to provide you.  It's interesting that they make a right and left handed tool.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:37:44 am »
I use a pot of hot water and a fish flay knife. works fine. :roll: :)doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:27:00 am »
Jimmy, I've been eyeballing it myself the last year or so but can't seem to get past the sticker price. Looks like a great little tool, I just may break down and get one, who knows.

Let me know how it works if you get one, thanks.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:34:17 am »
It's a love/hate tool.  I personally don't own one,  but know some people that have them and love it and some that have them and hate it.    Seems there are more on the like side than dislike,  but after putting down that much cash,  I'm sure you find ways to like it. :roll:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline RebelRx

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:09:05 pm »
I have this plane and love it.  It's a little slow but so are most decapping alternatives. Mine cost about 80 dollars when I bought it about 4 years ago.  I had a hot knife that wouldn't get hot so I decided to try one. Once you get the blade height set its all gravy after that. Shallow or medium frames work well with usually 1 pass per side on full drawn comb.  But you have to decide what works best for you.  Good luck.

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:27:33 pm »
Thanks for the responces. I squeezed the pig after reading all the good comments that it is eaiser on the wrists and arms to use.

JP ,when mine comes in you can come watch me use it , but  it is a little pricey at $125 . When we get your age we all need to take it easy on the body, he   he . I'm 65 how old did you say you were? 7-------?  :)

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:35:52 pm »
I have this exact tool, but I'm going to make you all jealous... ready?  Ebay... $15.00  Now I'm having reverse sticker shock!

Alright, enough of that!  I really like this tool, it heats well, cuts nicely, and does the job for me.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »
I saw a video on YouTube with a guy using it.  Looks like it works alright. 
For the left and right handed thing, save money on lawsuits I would think.  For people that are left handed (me) the heating element is going to be placed on the opposite side of the thumb so you don't burn yourself.

anything