Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New friend from "Gardentown"!  (Read 3439 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
New friend from "Gardentown"!
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:41:36 pm »
Hey you guys!
Look at what i found at Smiths Gardentown!
I got two of them and the label says they are good for butterflies and hummingbirds....Maybe the bees will like them too!

Looks like IT!

Its called a Cleome hassleriana.
It has stickers and will get really nice pinkish flowers
 I've been getting my deck ready for this year and thought that this plant would look good up here.(It''ll make people LOOK a little closer at it too) ;)
The mesquites are showing tiny buds fixing to open..This place will be really green soon.
Oh, yeh,....I split a hive about 2 weeks ago(Remember?the 60/30 split?)..Its doing good! They're eating syrup fast enuff to make me fill the feeder every 3 days..Also, the new 3 lb package has gotten their queen out and is doing good too!
Ok,..thats all...
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: New friend from "Gardentown"!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:14 am »
John, nice plant!!!  I love cleome and used to grow it around here all the time.  I planted a cultivar that was deep pink.  Wasn't into bees way back when, but I heard that cleome is great for the bees. 

I remember when I grew the plant, so many people thought I was growing pot.  Take a whiff of those leaves, John, and tell me if they don't smell like cannibas.  I would imagine that yours would too, watch out for the torns.

The cleome makes the most beautiful addition to cut flower arrangements.  The airy looking flower is magnificent.  I am happy that you got that plant, you will love it.  Beautiful day in this great life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:00:57 pm »
Yep, THATS what it smells like!
 Ok,...I sent your package just a few minutes ago.
Just bury them shallow and water them...When they come up they will kinda resemble a poison ivy leaf..They'll be shiny too!
Ok,...Gotta go to the dentist...
And the new nabors are Grubbing everything out!!..Just about 3 months ago it was like a forest!(I mean for a forest down here)..Now, I see about 3 trees left on their whole nine acres :'(
They did all this for their horses..I wish I had taken pictures then and now...unbelievable.......

your friend,
john

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »
lol, looks like a weird strain of a pot plant

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:13 pm »
When I first saw it, that's what I thought also. In fact, I was worried John would get into trouble!!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
heh, heh....
TROUBLE??? :-D
 When I went to the cash register at Smiths I said to the lady," Looky at what I found!!"...She looked at me and said,"Oh my goodness, mister,...Its not what you think it is!"
 I knew what it was really but you shoulda seen the looks on some of the other peoples faces standing in line! :shock:

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:39:43 pm »
John, OK, now you got me on a cleome rush.  I do so love that plant, I am going to have to start some again this year.  Do watch out though, if you don't want cleome everywhere, deadhead the flowers, they self-seed like there is no tomorrow.  And the species is rather tall, probably tops out at about 7 feet tall, yours may be a shorter cultivar, hoping so for you, hee, hee.  Remember, you can't smoke cleome, hee, hee.  Beautiful day, love our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:31 am »
Mines called "Spirit Appleblossun"
This is wierd tho,..on the plant card it states that it is "Patented" and "Propogation is prohibited".
 Its supposed to get 24 to 30 inches.
When it gets its flowers(It has buds right now) i'll send a picture.

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:47:44 am »
John, when plant producers produce hybrid plants (crosses from two parents, to get the best traits gathered from both), they put a patent on that plant and it cannot be reproduced, legally.  One is not even supposed to take cuttings off this plant for their own uses, of course, hee, hee.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 10:57:57 am »
Actually it is fine to propagate the plant for your own uses, you just can't sell them - the patent stuff mainly applies to growers who wholesale.  I read a whole article on this once in one of the magazines, basically they aren't after the home gardener, it's to prevent profiting by commercial use and sale.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:27:51 pm »
Ann, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!  Now I don't feel so bad about all the hundreds of cuttings I have taken that I winced each time I cut a little piece of the plant for myself in my gardens.  I always thought I was breaking the law, hee, hee, making my gardens even so much bigger.  BEautiful day in this great life,  Cindi