Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pennsylvania neophite  (Read 1781 times)

Offline chickade

• New Bee
Pennsylvania neophite
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:47 am »
I am going in to my third year with bees- I almost gave up, having lost two colonies in my first two years.  Last year I got a nuc of Pennsylvania bees from a local bee keeper, and that one seems to have made it through the winter.  They are not as easy to keep as the Georgia bees I had before- they seem much more likely to sting me!  I haven't done a hive inspection yet, and am gearing up to do that.

Is there a rule about how soon to do the first hive inspection?  How should I prepare for it?  When should I start feeding them? 

I know I may have to do some kind of treatment to reduce mite destruction, but so far these bees have only had sucrocide treatments and I'd like to keep them as chemical free as possible.  Should I get ready to treat them with sucrocide as soon as I open the hive?

I am a member of a bee keepers club, but the meetings are far away and not convenient for my schedule.

Thanks in advance!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: Pennsylvania neophite
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:00:17 am »
search this website for all that information...
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:33:04 pm »
Hard to beat a good Georgia bee  :-D  and welcome to the forum.   

First thing for a hive inspection, make some smoke.    Then open it up.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:56 am »
Chickade,
Welcome to the forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything