Welcome, Guest

Poll

Are you part of the southern or northern states???

northern states
12 (50%)
southern states
12 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: southern states or northern states???  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Eggman

• Brood
southern states or northern states???
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »
We are newbees are are curious where the majority of the bee advice will be coming from.  We are part of the upper states.  Our low this year was -10 degrees.  We assume the difficulties we face will not match those who raise bees in the lower states.
u dont have to if u want to

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: southern states or northern states???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:26 pm »
I've kept bees in Illinois, Mississippi, and North Carolina, so how should I vote?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »
Your assumption is correct, but so far the poll is hugely skewed (all southern) but there are lots and lots of experienced beekeepers all over the USA and many parts beyond in the forums.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:23 am »
Some of the best advice comes from Finland  ;)

To be fair, there is great advice from all over the country as Bee Happy and Iddee reports.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »
Although we have cold and snow up North,we have very little trouble with small hive beetles,which may make the cold seem like a good thing.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:39 pm »
Ill take the colder weather and stronger honey flows and knock on wood, no shb, or ahb.  We also dont have poisonous bugs and reptiles all over so Ill take the trade off.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:46 am »
No poisonous bug or reptiles? What do ya'll eat?? :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:09 am »
I mean ones that kill you, LOL!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:04:31 am »
We are newbees are are curious where the majority of the bee advice will be coming from.
While some questions are fairly generic and answers aren't location-dependent; I believe that most of us here take a look at the location in your profile before offering advice. If you post a question that is location-specific, most of the time you can expect a location-specfic answer.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:22 am »
In western Nebraska and Laramie Wyo we had several winters where it was -40 F.  Not only that but -40 F every night for almost a month on one occasion.  Now I'm in the warm climate of Southeast Nebraska where we are surprised when it hits -27 F which it does now and then.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eggman

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:07 am »
thanks everyone ;)
u dont have to if u want to

anything