Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeper Husband - ALLERGIC! Now I am the beekeeper.....  (Read 1866 times)

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
Beekeeper Husband - ALLERGIC! Now I am the beekeeper.....
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »
My husband and I set up a hive two years ago and he (more than me) enjoyed working the hive.  Last spring we were checking the hive together and the bees were not happy.  End result--both of us were stung several times.  This wasn't a big deal because it happens all the time.  About 30 minutes later--(we had the hive buttoned up and were doing other things), I heard a plea for  help.  I walked downstairs and found my husband "laid out" on the kitchen floor.  Red welts everywhere and he was feeling very faint.  His breathing was fine at that point, but we quickly headed to the ER where he was pumped full of drugs and recovered nicely.  Needless to say, I am now the head beekeeper in our family!  And we also keep epi-pens around--just in case.

So....suddenly I have been thrust into the lead role here.  But--I am finding that I enjoy doing the "bee work" and since I just retired, it gives me another activity to keep me busy.  I have been reading up on things --especially re-queening.  We decided to insert a new queen this spring and she will arrive in mid-April.  I bumped into this forum looking for information on inserting a new queen.  Thanks to all that posted on that topic.

We are urban beekeepers - we have our hive on the upper deck of our house.  I was worried that it would be a problem --too close to the house, but actually it is a pretty neat location.  We can sit in our family room and watch the hive right outside the window.  Last weekend I was amazed to see those little bees hauling the dead bees out of the hive and then flying away -- carrying them and then dropping them a short distance from the hive.  They really are workers.... 

So.....glad to see all the information here and hope to be able to contribute at some point.
QUESTION:  IS THERE A RSS FEED to the forum?  I use a newsreader that directs posts to the reader.  Can't seem to find any way to do this on the forum.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beekeeper Husband - ALLERGIC! Now I am the beekeeper.....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »
welcome!

yes there is an RSS feed.  look at the top of your browser when you have this site open and you should see the RSS icon.  click on it and add this site.

good that you can take over the bees.  kind of a bummer for your husband.   a good reminder that one can develop an allergy at any time.

can you go into your profile and put your location?  it will help with future posts.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:19 pm »
Oh man, that would stink so bad.  I wish you the best of luck with the bees.  I am a newcomer to beekeeping so I'm wondering, if one develops the allergic reaction to beestings, would you be able to overcome the allergic reaction overtime?  In the same way that it came on.

Btw welcome to the site.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum and where are you located at?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:07:16 am »
Welcome!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything