Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fans of horror flicks  (Read 12854 times)

bigbearomaha

Fans of horror flicks
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
 I ask you a multiple part question as well...

What is the scariest movie you have ever seen

What is the best horror movie you have ever seen.

What is your favorite horror movie

worst horror movie.

I ask these as separate questions because  I know for me, the answers to these are not one and the same.

My favorite horror movie and it is SOOOOO hard for me to pick, is a tie between Vincent Prices "Last Man on Earth" and George Romero's original "Night of the Living Dead"  with a lot of movies tied for second.

The best horror movie I have seen is also very hard to pick but I am currently leaning toward "The Haunting (1963)".  I love the building of suspense and the forbidding presence they are able to create consistently throughout the movie.  Though that will likely change come October as I start going through my library of horror movies in celebration of Halloween for the whole month (did I ever mention Halloween is my favorite holiday?)

The scariest movie for me?  well, that's hard to say because very few horror movies really register as 'scary' to me.  call me jaded or de-sensitized, but,  I don't scare easily when it comes to horror movies but for sheer in-your-face nastiness, I would say the Saw movies stand out to me currently.

the worst and possibly dumbest horror movie I have ever seen was "Cemetery Man".

Big Bear
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:25:24 am by bigbearomaha »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Fans of horror flicks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »
I'm not really that into horror movies...it just seems that most really miss the mark. It seems all they are willing to give us is gore without much content. The original Exorcist was a good one and the original Nightmare on Elm Street got my heart pumping. I think "nightmare" was about the first one to really throw us a ball.

I LOVE the old, really cheesy horror flix tho...Monster From the Black Lagoon, Swamp Thing etc. and even some of the newer ones like Black Sheep and Monster Shark vs. Giant Squid. Of course you can't forget Lake Placid, Betty White is on a roll!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
Scott, get it right man, it was "The Creature From The Black Lagoon"!

Not too much scares me anymore, well, the first time I met Bud, now that was scary!  :-D

Scariest movie ever was the Exorcist.

The best horror movie I have ever seen? Don't know if I really have a favorite, well, could Altered States be considered a horror flick? I really liked this movie and The Thing, with Kurt Russell, so its a tie, there could be another...

What is your favorite horror movie? Well, if I have to choose one, I'd say "The Thing"

Worst horror movie? "Mausoleum" It was so bad we decided to just get drunk.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:20 pm »
Of course you're right again JP...I must've been drunk :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:02 am »
The Ring!! I actually watched that movie and almost died when the girl crawled out of the TV set.  I could not sleep for nights after that.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:17 am »
what about "The Ring"? scariest? favorite? you're not playing the game right.  lol

Big Bear

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:29:31 am »
The Ring was a scary thing for me and she makes me look at it all the time :evil:
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »
what about "The Ring"? scariest? favorite? you're not playing the game right.  lol

Big Bear

"The Ring" is scariest!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »
The Ring was a scary thing for me and she makes me look at it all the time :evil:
:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »
I love watching all the friday the 13th movies, they are scary, funny, and just good.  Soda, popcorn and marathon day!  You hear the music, you know it is coming then.....nothing.  You hear the music, you know it is coming then......bam!  Knife! :evil:

bigbearomaha

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »
 I just watched "The Mist" based on the Stephen King story.

now,  I know a lot of people tend to disagree with me, but I actually like this movie and  I particularly like the ending.  I won't spoil it for anyone, but it is the way  I think a 'true' horror movie should end.

Big Bear

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 01:19:25 am »
I'm a bit slow chiming in here. No doubt if you've ever read anything I write, horror is my favorite film topic. So many ways we can react to different film, the gore factor or Saw's "in your face" gore (which is some rough scenes to watch without wincing a bit) wouldn't have half the impact if it were lightened up like Evil Dead 2 or Dead/Alive.

One category of horror that opens the door to tons of movies is CREATURE sci/fi horror - the best of these in recent years I have seen is called INFESTATION about giant beetles and a small group of people trying to find the nest and take it out cause eventually no doubt the beetles would win.

But I agree with JP, The Exorcist (I was about 17) scared the crap out of me every time the camera walked up to Linda Blair's room - you never knew what to expect. The pace of the movie is quirky slow in the beginning to emphasize the rapid scenes later. Tempo is so important.

Hitchcock said it isn't the shot from a gun that is scary, it is the anticipation of the BANG!

I don't like Mockumentries like The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity and Cloverfield, the Later then best. But one where everyone is trapped in an apartment building and the real "creatures" are the CDC who wants the contagion stopped in that building at all cost - it is called Quarantine with Jennifer Carpenter.

The Mist was certainly NOT a bad movie, very sad ending indeed - but the pace was fairly break-neck compared to most King stuff. It was well made too, great acting and awesome special effects - the creatures in the mist were done really well. Just as the FOG had done decades earlier, the claustrophobic nature of mist and fog are as thick and scary as swimming in croc waters at night.

About the Ring, a pretty fat person could climb into my living room through the TV, not sure if I want to think about that - lol. Think I'll tackle the list now.

*What is the scariest movie you have ever seen:

I'm trying to remember a scene that truly horrified me and I'm a bit stumped at the minute - I may update this one later. Although the first scene that ever grossed me out was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a scene where the captured girl (sister of the wheel chair guy) has her finger slowly cut open in a close up scene and then grandpa sucked the blood from her finger.

Side note on that... As long as I can remember, I have had a fear of broken glass and handling sheet metal or other sharp objects except knives. I think seeing that finger scene triggered that fear BEFORE I knew I had it, I don't think my fear came from the movie.

*What is the best horror movie you have ever seen:

Well, this is gonna be another creature, Zombie of course this time. There are so many George Romero films that they all sound a like after a while, but Zombies have gotten better, faster, smarter.

You can't help but throw Dust 'til Dawn in here somewhere either, 30 days of Night and The Thing. But the best horror is tough because you can say, what had the BEST STUFF and which WAS the BEST overall movie. I'll still stand by the Exorcist - I can't imagine if that were done TODAY with all the CGI effects what the Exorcist could be today. In the same light, Poltergeist had some frightening minutes in it.

*What is your favorite horror movie:
Hands down, Evil Dead 2 - Bruce Campbell and directed by a master of campy and true horror, Sam Raimi who did a show last year (very well directed horror film) "Drag Me to Hell" - check that one out too!

*worse horror movie:

So many, I wish I had kept a diary. Queen of the darned was horrible, but I look back and think back, I never liked the Dr. Phibes with Vincent Price were crap. Still thinking on this one too.

Runner Ups to any of these are the Incestuous families in the mines and woods type movies. I especially liked the Wrong Turn movies and The Hills Have Eyes. 1000 dead corpses and other Rob Zombie stuff hits the mark too as entertaining.

And one last film in the mix, not horror really, but the weirdest movie you are likely to ever see was Terry Gilliam's "Tideland" with Jeff Bridges.

There are two directors: Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton who are similar but stand out in their talents. I love Johnny Depp, but he pedo-creeps me out in almost every Tim Burton movie - boo!

I'll tweak this up later, it is getting late and I need to think it out a bit more. But I strongly suggest Infestation as a light horror movie that is fun for the family. A little more frightening is Drag Me to Hell. Both cool movies, although Infestation is more creature than horror.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:45 am »
I like that word "Mockumentries"!  I do not like them either. :-D

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 11:47:07 pm »
There was this thing awhile back about being paid $10,000 dollars to watch a scary movie in a theater all by one's self.

I will watch any scary movie in any setting, like a haunted house, and then go walk down a dark alley after the movie is over. Where do I sign up for these things?

The last one that scared me was when I was a young child. It was "The Blob". The one with Steve McQueen. Just thinking about a creature that could squeeze through the cracks and get you.

But now I can watch anything and not have a nightmare. It is weird but when a dream starts turning in a direction I don't want to go, I tell myself to wake up. Then I am mad because I want to know how it turned out.  :idunno:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »
We can't watch anything here scary unless the wife is out of town.   She is so scared of horror/ scary/ haunted/ gory/ whatever movies that she will not even be in the house when they are on.   So to make her happy today, I had to turn Carrie 2 off.   Geez.    I did get her to watch most of Signs with Mel Gibson.  But the aliens were still to intense for her.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:48 am »
Same here. :(

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 10:44:30 am »
"Signs" was a horror flick?  :?

Oh yeah..... that part where the beautiful babe was smashed into the tree. Hate to see that.  ;)
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »
Not a horror flick, just as scary as we can get in the house with the wife around.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
OK I have another!! War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. It was a badly done version, but when that machine/alien would gather up people and chew them up and blood would pour out , well that was way too much for me. Especially the sound effect. That constant clang, clang, clang that went along with it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »
Was is any good Annette?   Never saw it.  I really don't go for remakes.   But I am running out of good sci fi movies to watch.

anything