Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive for Kids Museum  (Read 2879 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Observation Hive for Kids Museum
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:28 pm »
I have been contacted by a childrens' museum wanting to obtain a "big" observation hive. I think by big they mean with more than a few frames. It will be used in a hands on childrens museum, my club will assist w/ maintanence. Please PM me if you have any leads or info. They have resources, but uncertain at the moment as to how much. They know very little about bees but are excited nonetheless.Thanx in advance.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
Re: Observation Hive for Kids Museum
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:03:59 pm »
Interested in what you find out so please post- we are working on a similar display-

two interesting concepts so far- viewers step inside semi enclosed/ dark sectioned off "hive" with text/ info display on the outside, walk through curtain and into viewing area with bench and room for only several viewers.  dim light on hive, possibly sound recording if they push button
-also thought it would be really cool to build in a magnifying glass to the glass...

so far looks like we will probably build it ourselves.  thank you for sharing anything that you come up with !

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:42:39 pm »
This man builds some of the nicest obs I have ever seen. All custom made to your specs. You even choose the type of wood.

Waddell, William
171 Penny Ln
Reidsville, NC 27320

336-634-0197
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »
I also build custom equipment, but as to the question at hand, I would make something that can overwinter a colony.  Perhaps two frames wide, with glass at both sides.  I wonder if bees are affected by the type of light used in photography darkrooms... this may be an option to avoid disruption to the bees, but insure viewability to passers-by... this may require a bit of research, but well worth the effort if it works!

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:41:14 am »
yes it needs to all season. I rfound a ten frame OB being used atm. But it manages to live all year round in NJ w/ some feeding. I also found a local furniture maker who will donate time if I can come up w/ plans. I feel confident someone out there on this forum already has them, so give them UP!!!! Thanx in advance for ideas and I will keep you posted.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".