Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transfer of GM bacteria to Bee Gut  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Goddess

• Brood
Transfer of GM bacteria to Bee Gut
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:11:02 am »
Here is an excerpt from an article by a microbiologist, Mae-Wan Ho:

One viral promoter in practically al GM crops out there, including the so-called second generation GM plants such as the 'golden rice' (6) is from the cauliflower mosaic virus, CaMV for short. This CaMV promoter has a recombination hotspot - a site where it is prone to break and join up with other genetic material (7). It is promiscuous in function (8). Plant genetic engineers thought it works in all plants and plant-like species, but not in animals. Just last week, we discovered in the scientific literature more than 10 years old that this same CaMV promoter works extremely well also in frog eggs (9) and extracts of human cells (10). It is already known to be able to substitute for promoters of other viruses to give infectious viruses.

Since I cannot put any links in my post, use the search terms Mae-Wan Ho and bees (I used Google)

This and other articles by the same scientist (with hundreds of scientists who agree) will explain how GM crops are made and how the transgenic DNA can transer to other species.

You are not going to see this on the evening news, just more misdirection.

The only thing I can suggest to beekeepers is this--protect your bees' immune systems by good management practices. Avoid bee stress from chemicals, pesticides and anything else that known to be detrimental to bees.

We live in California in the San Joaquin Valley. We are in contact with the bees on a daily basis to ensure that they have everything that they need. There are many GM crops here. Just because something can occur does not make it inevitable.

We have not had a problem so far. Our bees are multiplying. My theory is that CCD may be a combination of factors that allows the bee's immune system to become weak. In healthy DNA of any kind, there are enzymes that are constantly checking the DNA for errors and then repairing those errors. To me the answer is to keep the bees healthy. Our bees are not organic bees, and yet they have never needed any medicine.

Also, biotech companies are now putting human genes into open air test crops that are engineered to produce biotech pharmaceuticals...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Transfer of GM bacteria to Bee Gut
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:24:12 am »
Godess.  Some very good and interesting information.  Thank you for taking the time to post this.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything