Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drone cels in my honey super  (Read 4879 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
drone cels in my honey super
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:13:44 am »
i have drone cels in my honey super...what do i do?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: drone cels in my honey super
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:03:24 am »
Quote from: filmmlif
i have drone cels in my honey super...what do i do?

Do nothing. Bees love to make dronecombs and they need them. If they are in one patch, cut them off when they are capped. So you may pick upp mites.

Make for bees drone area in some new foundations. Let 1/3 of foundation frame be without wax. Bees draw in the gap  drone cells. After capping cut them off and let them do it again.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:26:24 am »
They build drone cells in the super becaue you only have worker brood comb in the brood nest.  If you give them an empty frame to build some drone in they will stop doing that.  They really don't want a brood nest that is scattered but they are desperate this time of year to rear some drones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:28:47 pm »
checking my hives yesterday, I put queen excluders on this year because I had capped drone's I had to cut out last year before extracting because I didn't use a excluder, I pulled frames yesterday and guest what, in one hive that hag don't went through the excluder and laid drone eggs again then went back down in the brood chamber, cant win for losing  :D
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:27:38 am »
Or a laying worker layed some eggs and they wanted some drones and so they raised them.  There's generally a laying worker somewhere in any hive.

Both senarios are possible.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:52:51 am »
I made a comment about some drones taking off a couple weeks ago and was told I shouldn't have any and that I don't want drones.  I explained that my queen started laying brood early (from what I've been told) and the drones are natural as well as not numerous.  I also explained that I had plenty of worker brood and no queen cells and a great pattern and cool bees.  The impression I got was that I was failing as a beekeeper.  Am I wrong in not worrying?  They are happy and busy and when I last looked happily building comb.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 12:43:33 pm »
>I made a comment about some drones taking off a couple weeks ago and was told I shouldn't have any and that I don't want drones.

There are some beekeepers who believe that.

> I explained that my queen started laying brood early (from what I've been told) and the drones are natural as well as not numerous.

Exactly.

> I also explained that I had plenty of worker brood and no queen cells and a great pattern and cool bees. The impression I got was that I was failing as a beekeeper. Am I wrong in not worrying?

No. You are right.  Drones are normal.  Fighting them is counterproductive and will reduce your yeilds.

> They are happy and busy and when I last looked happily building comb.

Good!
-------------------

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
Or a laying worker layed some eggs and they wanted some drones and so they raised them.  There's generally a laying worker somewhere in any hive.

Both senarios are possible.

:?:  :?: now this is the first time I have ever heard or read this... mike what exactly do you mean every hive has laying workers? I know ever have can have a laying worker if it goes queen less and they can't make a new queen but you mean a queen right hive can have a laying worker also and this doesn't mess up a hive???
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 10:28:55 pm »
>Question Question now this is the first time I have ever heard or read this... mike what exactly do you mean every hive has laying workers?

Try a search on "bees" "anarchistic workers" "studies"  You'll probably find some research on it.  There are laying workers all the time.  The other bees try to keep them in line and clean out the eggs they don't want (like drone eggs in worker cells).  The number just skyrockets when there is no queen.

> I know ever have can have a laying worker if it goes queen less and they can't make a new queen but you mean a queen right hive can have a laying worker also and this doesn't mess up a hive???

According to the research I've seen, yes, all hives (including queenright hives) have them.  It's just a matter of how many and if they other workers can keep them under control.
-------------------

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 11:09:50 pm »
This is interesting, because. . .

Even though I saw my queen on Wednesday happily laying and having emerging workers and drones, I SWEAR I saw two workers on another frame putting their butts into cells . . .

Offline Old Buzzard

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 02:50:01 am »
The line of thinking that having drones is a bad thing, comes from the fact that drones only consume honey they don't make it.

If you follow that line of thinking then a beekeeper is a bad thing too. :D

Fighting  the production of drones is going against nature you are trying to eliminate the male of the species.

A normal hive is going to produce drones no matter what you do, if they don't have drone comb available they will make it, you can remove it but they will make it again. As Michael said this will reduce your yields. It simply takes honey to produce comb.

I personally must admit a small amount of fondness for drones. A trick that my dad taught when I was a boy was to snatch bees out of the air at the hives to amuse (amaze) my friends. He had taught me to recognize the drones by the sound they made when they fly. :D

You are not failing as a beekeeper, you are enjoying your bees that is what it is about.

IF you want to fail as a beekeeper try to eliminate the drones. :wink:

anything