Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Er, now what.. 2 queens flew away  (Read 6675 times)

Offline potomacjoe

• New Bee
Er, now what.. 2 queens flew away
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:45:17 pm »
Well, we installed our first hives today, my husband has five and I have five.  It was such a blast! Now, for the foibles.  Every piece of bee literature that we have read said that when we get our bees, the queen will be in a separate cage; remove the cork, and there will be hard candy underneath. Well, much to our surprise, there was no candy coating and two of our queens flew away!    :shock: We managed to get eight put away all safe and sound.  But now what?  Do we see if we can get two new queens at the supplier?  Just chalk it up to a learning experience?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  ~Potomacjoe

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:47:59 pm »
I have never installed package bees, but I hear there are two corks in the queen cage. One goes directly to the queen and the other to the candy. Did you pull the right one? Or was there only one?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline potomacjoe

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:42:32 am »
yes, there was only one cork. One end had the tab and the other end had the cork.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 10:09:16 am »
Well, now you buy two queens, or pull a couple of  frames of eggs from other colonies... I'd buy, if you can do it quickly.
Lesli

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:20:25 am »
Looking at the cage there is no candy on one end?  Pkg.'s I recieved the candy end was underneath the metal tab that secured the queen cage in the pkg.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 11:26:24 am »
The packages I've gotten the last three years there was no candy.  They were California style cages, not the three hole cages.  They are smaller and there is no candy.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 01:11:45 pm »
Can't keep a girl without candy :lol:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline potomacjoe

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 04:27:45 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
The packages I've gotten the last three years there was no candy.  They were California style cages, not the three hole cages.  They are smaller and there is no candy.

Michael, Did you put some candy in the empty hole or did you just let the queen out?

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 04:30:49 pm »
If you don't want to direct release, you can plug the hole with a marshmallow.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 05:52:27 pm »
Queen returns

When queen rise on her wings, she will return to same place. You just wait. It will take a couple of minutes. If only one  hive is open, usually queen launch there. But if all is open, queen easily goes to wrong hive and it will be killed. You se that when you find extra dead queen in front of hive.

Queen flyes around and is very carefull where it goes. Mostly I have got them back when they return.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 06:16:39 pm »
>Michael, Did you put some candy in the empty hole or did you just let the queen out?

I did direct release.  Unfortunately several have flown on me over those years also.  So I started to clip them this year.  I take the cage in the bathroom where they can fly to the window and catch, mark and clip them and then take them back and put them in the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 07:17:15 pm »
Clipping queen´s wing causes "quiet queen changes". When I clipped at after mating flight, bees missed many queens at winter. I read from Australian reassech that bees renewed 20% of their clipped queens.

So I started to clip wing at spring before swarming. I have see many years that bees change quite often  last year queen if it is clipped.

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 09:26:35 pm »
Quote from: Finsky
Clipping queen´s wing causes "quiet queen changes". When I clipped at after mating flight, bees missed many queens at winter. I read from Australian reassech that bees renewed 20% of their clipped queens.

So I started to clip wing at spring before swarming. I have see many years that bees change quite often  last year queen if it is clipped.

If  when swarming, the swarming bees rush the old queen to the entrance - she is the last to know:  And if she cannot fly since her wings have been clipped, don't you have a ball of bees about a foot from the enrance?

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 12:34:07 am »
A piece of soft marsmallow candy placed  in the hole of the queen cage will allow the colony to chew through it slowly enough to help with queen acceptance. I learned something here,because I have never received a mail order queen without the candy in the plug. Going to have to pay close attention from now on.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.