Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about bee quick  (Read 3539 times)

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
Question about bee quick
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
Hi all,

I just hived three new nucs.  They are about 100 yards from the house and are buzzing my wife as soon as she steps out on our deck.  We are wondering if we sprayed the deck rails with bee quick if it would keep them away and for how long. 

Also, how soon until these bees turn into the gentle nice bees I keep hearing about?

Thanks
Lee

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Question about bee quick
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »
I don't know if I would spray it that close to my door.  Are you still feeding the nucs?

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »
they like or dislike her smell, change it
to bee or not to bee

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »
I should note they are buzzing me also.   I am feeding them honey in open feeders because I didn't ave time to get hive feedrrs :(.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
Something is not right here.  100 yds is a long way.  I have never had bees bother me more than 30 yds from a hive.  Something is attracting them to your house or to you and your wife.  When you say they are buzzing you, do you mean they are head butting or doing the guard bee figure 8 in front of your face or are they stinging?  If they are just foraging around your house, that does not seem like a problem.  Bees are not generally defensive so far from their hive.

Are the open feeders near your house..... closer than the hives?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:55 pm »
some of the bees are headbutting and going for our heads, some are just buzzing by us.  The feeders are next to the hive there is one for each hive.  We have an orchard and our house is between the hives and the orchard, I didn't think the foragers would bother us this much.
thanks
lee 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
Try changing your laundry and bath soap!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
Try changing your laundry and bath soap!

Scott

That may actually be the problem.  Strange as it seems, this is far from normal bee behavior.  Do the bees act the same to visitors who have not been inside your house?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
soap and shampoo were my first thought. The skeeters love my wifes shaving cream, they eat her legs up. Perhaps some scent from the house is lingering on your clothes, air freshener?
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »
wow mine are 50 feet from my back porch and you wouldnt know I have hives unless you walk behind my garage and see them, well except for bee poop on my truck
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:17:11 am »
Look around and see if you ended up with a colony by or under your Deck/house and your
right in there line of flight
 Can you move the hives so your house is not between them and the orchard

Good luck
Tommyt

We have an orchard and our house is between the hives and the orchard,
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:19 am »
Heck we don't want to disturb the bees. Just move the house. LOL
Thats what the government would do,or else declare it a protected zone and tear your house down.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:29:55 am »
The beequick thing is not the way to go, it will wear off likely within 24-36 hours where you will have to reapply. Besides its quite an eye irritant! And a pricey repellant!

I must agree with the others here about the scent thing, I use odorless deodorant and natural smelling shampoos that don't have a lingering strong odor. I also never use cologne. I have had bees voice their displeasure to me when I used something strong smelling.

Also, what race of bees and where did you get them? (location)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline yuzhiwen

• Brood
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:36:30 am »
You must to make sure that they like or dislike her smell, if they dislike her smell, you may should tell her change it.
I hope this could help you, thank you very much.
to be or not to be?

office 2007

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 07:07:06 pm »
Move your open feeders to the orchard.  Bees will often ignore feeder placed near the hive in favor of one further away.  They will even ignore feeders placed in the hive in favor of forage.

Since the orchard is a natural forage area, is between the house and the bee hives, it just might divert the bees.

Lastly put away the pledge and use something w/o lemon oil to polish the furniture.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »
y'all keep talkin bout showers and soap and furniture polish like we sposed to clean ourselves and our stuff!  Ain't a bath a month too much already! :lol:

kidding.  I did find out that the bees have californian italian queens (which means they're angry off cause they got shipped to cold/cloudy west michigan).

they also weren't near as bad today.

thanks for your input everyone.