Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What should I do with abandoned hives  (Read 5503 times)

mike

What should I do with abandoned hives
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:31:45 am »
Hi , I need some advice I am a truck farmer and am interested in keeping my own bees I have two hives that another beekeeper placed on my property to polleniate my crops. but he hasn't been back to tend to them in at least 3 years there are bees in both of them but the populations seem to be small. I am interested in reviving these hives and then expanding to more hives at this point all I know about beekeeping is what I read online I would appreciate any advice

Offline Markinaust

• New Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:02:52 am »
Hi Mike,

The very first thing I would do is find an expierenced beekeeper to help you along. I would ask him to do an initual inspection as the hive has not been tended to for so long they could be a very savage hive by now.

You will need a smoker and a veil, at least to begin with. Also some coverall overals and depending on your preference some heavy gloves till you get comfortable with the bees.

Your new found beekeeper friend could possibly advice you on what equipement the  hives will require after the initual inspection.

Good Luck

Cheers

Mark

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 09:59:57 am »
Thanks to John the Beemaster, who created this beekeeping online course and this forum, this website is a great Gold Mine of information.

Another universal favorite seems to be the "Beekeeping for Dummies" book.  Check it out!

Also, look online to find your state / county beekeeping association.  There is probably a couple of groups that meet in your area.  Very usefull resource.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 08:51:51 pm »
My two cents....

If you're set on beekeeping (which is very addictive :) ), then here's some steps I suggest. The cheapest route to take is what was advised above - find another beekeeper to give the initial check on the hive. Like it was said, they may be rather wild, and there may be some illness in there that you wouldn't know the signs of at first glance.
If you can't find someone, or choose to do this on your own - for whatever reason, stong willed? the thrill of it? because it seems exciting? :)  ...... then you'll probably want to invest first in the bee suit, a smoker, and one or two hive tools (it's a small crowbar looking thing). Plus, read up as much info as your brain will hold before getting in the hive. That way you'll sorta know what you'll see, and what to look for (brood, illness, etc.). Expect it to be a tangled mess of burr comb, but that's fixable. And take a camera and/or note pad out to the hive with you for notes to look over after you're back in your house.
Don't be discouraged though. They're probably pretty strong, or they wouldn't have made it in the first place. If the hive parts and bees are good (not dieing or falling to pieces) you've got yourself a big savings. Beekeeping isn't exactly an inexpensive hobby, but the rewards from it are worth it. But it's the initial start-up that's costly - bee suit, smoker, hive tool, maybe a feeder right away - can be bought for under $200. Two hives with bees would cost you another $50 per super, with frames, and the bees are $50-$100 for just a small start. So I'm guessing you might be saving at least $400 with those two adopted hives.

Good luck, and happy beekeeping to you.....
Beth

mike

THANKS
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 10:40:07 pm »
thanks Mark and Beth ,
I have made contact with a beekeeper that can help me. So We'll see what happens. I'll post a update when we find out what I got. Again THANKS  :D

anything