Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Races  (Read 6727 times)

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Bee Races
« on: May 31, 2004, 11:49:08 pm »
As many of you know there are many races of bees. I currently keep Italians and am looking for a different race of bee to keep next year. Does anybody keep a race bee that is NOT italian that could tell me about some of their experience with them?

Bee Boy
Bee Boy

Anonymous

Bee Races
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 12:39:38 am »
Im interested in this as well.  I've been trying to get first hand information on NWC's, Buckfast, Russian, as well midnites.  I think I will order a NWC queen in the fall if I can get one just to see what happens.

Offline mark

• House Bee
Bee Races
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 02:17:47 am »
i had some carniolin crosses a few years ago. they are much too touchy for my taste.  open the hive up even after smoke and they are lined up along the frames watching like they are daring you to make the wrong move.....come to think of it they are the ones that showed me i'm now allergic to bee stings.

regards
mark

may all your mistakes be new ones

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Bee Races
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 07:34:06 am »
Literal bee races.. I think Italians would win, they are very aerodynamic  :shock:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bee Races
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 03:49:14 pm »
Over the years I have tried many different Itailans (different sources), Russians, Carnolian, Midnites, Starlines.  To be perfectly honest with the small sample size that most backyard beekeepers have doesn't lead to any real indication of trait differentiation.  There are just to many other variables within breeders that affect results.

Just within Italians I have had many different experiences from very hot ones to extremely gentle.  Massive burr comb to minimal burr comb. Good producers, bad producers.  So it is hard to quantify any other breed based on just a few of each type.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Bee Races
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 09:15:23 am »
Robo - do you have a breeder you particluarly like?
Judy

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bee Races
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 08:02:53 pm »
Quote from: Judy Frey
Robo - do you have a breeder you particluarly like?

Actually,  I don't.

I have dealt with many of the well know breeders at one time or another, and have no complaints.  I did get a drone laying queen once,  but the breeder provided a replacement with no questions.

Most are family owned/run and are good honest folks.

This year I got some carniolan-cross queens from Indian Summer that were nice and dark and are doing fine.  I also have some northern queens on order from David Eyre.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything