Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: time to switch  (Read 1747 times)

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
time to switch
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:45:48 pm »
Went out to the hive the other day and when i pulled the honey super there
was some larva on the base.should i switch the two hive boxes now?
also the honey super is loaded,about 80% full do i take this off and add another or just pop
another on top
Thanks
Keith
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: time to switch
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »
If they are making honey leave them be.(larve on the base) probably just drone brood on the bootom of the frame,are they plastic frames ;) Do you have drawn frames for your honey supper if so I would checker board the two suppers as best you can -empty full empty full and so on,  If you have foundation that needs to be drawn out i would wet supper the box of undrawn foundation.(by that i mean place it under the supper they are working next to brood chamber) hope this helps            you didnt mention if you are running a excluder i am asuming you are 8-) RDY-B

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:44:19 am »
all the frames have drawn comb.they are left from my hive that starved out last winter
i am not using an excluder at this time.the two old guys who had helped me out a few years ago
hated them and i've followed their advice.they two guys are gone now
thanks
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:42:51 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin