Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless and a TOBAN  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
Queenless and a TOBAN
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:54:25 am »
Found a hive today that looks queenless. Was doing a quick check of some bush hives without smoke because of the fireban and only a veil because that's all I had with me. The SHB had already moved in so it was time to consolidate the hive. They were not happy was an understatement.

Made for an interesting morning........

Cheers
Rob
Cheers
Rob.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queenless and a TOBAN
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:38 am »
Were they real noisy when you opened the lid? A hive full of SHB is a good indicator of a queenless hive.
Are you saying that you are not allowed to light your smoker because of a fire ban?
That sounds extreme.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »
They were noisy Jim but I think the hive I got the brood out of were worse. As for lighting a smoker, a TOBAN is a total fire ban and you can't light any fire in the open at all. Really bad conditions here for bushfires at present.

Cheers
Rob.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:13:59 pm »
How bad are the SHB down there? I assume you know what you're doing. I lost most of our hives to SHB when the beetles arrived, and when I was learning.

I have read people on natural beekeeping forums and blogs talk about spraying the bees with sugar-water instead of using smoke. I've not tried it, but I have sometimes deliberately dripped nectar from a frame all over the top bars, to calm the bees. They come up and clean it up and it distracts them. Sugar-water in a spray bottle might be worth a try in a total fire ban  :)

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:05:27 am »
Culley,

The beetles come and go and are generally worse in about February with the heat and humidity. I find if my hives are really strong they tend to be able to handle the beetles as well. This time of year I generally only find one or two in the odd hive but the queenless one had quite a few already, they really move in on a weakened hive.

Tried the water spray once, note once, and found it less than successful. Didn't expect to do anything more than just pop the tops the other day hence just the old veil.

Cheers
Rob.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Jedda

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:30 am »
Hate to say it, but you could have used your smoker if you needed to as they are exempt from TOBANs in NSW. You can read for yourself here RFS total fire ban rules, and you can check the current legislation in the gazettes. Look for schedule 10 "bee hive smokers" for the current regulations found here; NSW legislation gazettes. Gazette 114 is the most current one and includes schedule 10. These schedules are rarely changed so you just need to check the rfs site during TOBANs to make sure nothing has changed in regards to the exemptions.

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:59:28 pm »
Now you tell me Jedda  ;) but I still would not have used it. Too much dry grass and bush. Imagine if you started a fire when lighting it. Explain that one.

Still it makes for a good story.......

Cheers
Rob
Cheers
Rob.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 03:30:16 am »
Jedda is spot on.  You need to light the smoker indoors and extinguish it indoors.  I leave mine in a smoker tin when I walk away from it.  Working bees without a smoker is a recipe for a short beekeeping career.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:49:34 am »
The smoker should only be used to cover up the alarm pheromones so if you are gentle with the bees and they have good genetics you shouldn't need the smoker.

Try using no gloves so you can grip the frames better without pinching bees. I find I only need the smoker if I am trying to rob a lot of hives in a short time (ie not being gentle) or I am working the bees late into the evening.
Shane

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 06:00:12 am »
With the greatest of respect to you Shane advising beekeepers that they should not use a smoker for routine inspections is something that I have trouble with.  A few puffs of smoke into the entrance of a beehive ensures happy, trouble free beekeeping.  It has worked for thousands of years.  I have no desire to start a fight about using smoke.  Beginners make no mistake.  Opening up a large, strong hive and inspecting the brood box without the use of smoke is foolish and irresponsible.  You should have a lit smoker with you every time you open your hives.  It is basic workplace health and safety.  I rarely use gloves but I use a smoker every time I open a hive.  Happy beekeeping.

Offline mikebrg

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29:05 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Jedda, I too just assumed a TOBAN would be an inspection free day. I guess that's why you shouldn't "assume" anything!

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:45:37 pm »
Still, while it may be legal to use a smoker on TOBANS you will be responsible for any damage a fire causes.

Cheers
Rob.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Jedda

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:19:53 pm »
 I looked into this because my hive is in my backyard and I found it a bit ridiculous that my neighbours can light up a cigarette on a fire ban day but Id assumed I couldn't use my smoker. Id feel pretty safe doing it in my yard at the moment as there is no dry grass and I have a hose on hand if a fire did start up. Id be a bit more hesitant if my hive were out in the bush or a paddock full of dry grass.

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:44 pm »
Exactly Jedda. Same rules as a BBQ you really need a supply of running water and you would be good to go. Out in the dry grass and bush I really think you would be pushing it if something went wrong.

Cheers
Rob.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:02 am »
Normally I would light a smoker anytime I'm opening up a full size hive to do anything much.  But in high fire danger I probably would not.  I've seen fire out of control...

Of course on the plains of the US as well as the plains of OZ, the natives lit it and burned it on purpose every year for thousands of years...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin