Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help from a Philadelphia Beekeeper  (Read 10640 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Need help from a Philadelphia Beekeeper
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »
I need some help from a beekeeper in the Philadelphia area, but I wanted to make sure I gave some background behind this post.

I am a salesman for a high rise window cleaning company.  I spend my time on some of the highest roofs in the city of Detroit, and watch my guys do things that only people with the constitution of a crazy person would do.  My job is to connect with property managers and building owners.  Green is the word of the day, I think we all know that, so I've spearheaded initiatives in my company to embrace green technology and also to join the US Green Building Council.

I've been to many meetings where building owners and property managers have been working at getting LEED credits for their buildings by making them "greener".

I came up with the idea of doing a presentation for the USGBC and BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) in the Detroit area to introduce them to the concept of urban beekeeping.  This would be specifically be pointed at the Green Roof initiative.

I put some feelers out there, and got an response to a Philadelphia architect that is fascinated with the idea.  I will be talking with him over the course of a few days here, and would love to recommend a solid Philly beekeeper.

Any takers?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: Need help from a Philadelphia Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:50:50 pm »
I need some help from a beekeeper in the Philadelphia area, but I wanted to make sure I gave some background behind this post.

I am a salesman for a high rise window cleaning company.  I spend my time on some of the highest roofs in the city of Detroit, and watch my guys do things that only people with the constitution of a crazy person would do.  My job is to connect with property managers and building owners.  Green is the word of the day, I think we all know that, so I've spearheaded initiatives in my company to embrace green technology and also to join the US Green Building Council.

I've been to many meetings where building owners and property managers have been working at getting LEED credits for their buildings by making them "greener".

I came up with the idea of doing a presentation for the USGBC and BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) in the Detroit area to introduce them to the concept of urban beekeeping.  This would be specifically be pointed at the Green Roof initiative.

I put some feelers out there, and got an response to a Philadelphia architect that is fascinated with the idea.  I will be talking with him over the course of a few days here, and would love to recommend a solid Philly beekeeper.

Any takers?

I'm not picking up on what your saying ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:54:18 pm »
I would like a beekeeper to help out this architect and contribute to this project.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:01:06 pm »
I would like a beekeeper to help out this architect and contribute to this project.

How,what way ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:05:21 pm »
I know people raise gardens and keep bees on roofs in cities,is this what your promoting ?

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 05:20:05 pm »
OK heres what I'm going for.

I am trying to get the US Green Building Council and Green Roof to give LEED credits (tax breaks) to building owners that will include a honey bee hive in their Green Roof plans.

I am also trying to encourage Green Roof designers to include a hive or two in their plans.

Having an architect that is interested in this is a good starting point in this process.  Educating him or others about the benefits of a hive, and alleviating concerns would be a good move in the right direction.

There have been hives on roofs for a long time, but I've never seen one in my neck of the woods.  But the current situation of urban beekeeping means we should be proactive if an architect wants to design an area for a hive.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 06:13:46 pm »
Great project! I wish I was close enough to help out.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 11:38:28 am »
Anyone????
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:52:15 pm »
Don't give up.  It's a great idea.  I live in Washington state, so I can't be too much help.  You may want to contact a local college.  WSU which is located in Pullman is deeply involved in Bee Keeping Science.  I suspect there are quite a few other organizations, clubs, etc that would like to be involved. It's great publicity for both the building owners and the Bee Keeping community.

Is there something you'd like us, non-Philadelphia people to do that would help?

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
I think a network of good stewards to beekeeping in general is great.

This site is full of them.

As this develops I'm sure that I'm going to get architects from all over the US who will be looking for a solid beekeeper!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 05:21:35 pm »
I put Philadelphia in the search window above - and saw a few members who are somewhere in the area.  Some didn`t look very active on this forum - but that doesn`t mean they aren`t interested in bees.  Why not send a PM to them to see if they can help - or possibly introduce you to their groups.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 05:31:27 pm »
Are you looking for a beekeeping consultant for the architect's questions
or
a beekeeper willing to put hives on a roof?

I'm not in Philly, but I am wondering what would be in it for the beekeeper for his time and hives?  Hive rental fees?  Building space in which to sell high priced local LEED honey?

Educating people is nice, and I don't want to sound like a crass moneygrubber, but the thought of driving into a city just to take care of a couple of hives on top of a building has absolutely no appeal to me unless there were some real $$ attached.

Maybe others might be more interested if you could expound on some of the incentives involved.
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »
Oh, and you may want to give it at least the weekend...we don't all read the forums all the times, probably more on the weekend.  :)
Rick

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 07:52:58 pm »
There are many options available, but I think the "what's in it for me" line of thinking has always been the wrong line of thinking.

Think of the possibilities.

What if a building owner didn't have to have the bees on site?  What if each building owner contributed a single hive to your local beekeeping club?

What if a single hive was on the roof of most of your buildings in Detroit?  What if our honeybees were feeding the homeless?

What if urban public schools offered beekeeping courses as a way to help families?

Sure honey isn't a cure all, but its a step in the right direction. 

Putting pressure on the US Green Building Council to recognize the honeybee crisis has very very far reaching possibilities. 
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »

Putting pressure on the US Green Building Council to recognize the honeybee crisis has very very far reaching possibilities. 
I like the way you think!!! Sometimes getting your foot in the door opens many opportunities.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 11:55:02 pm »
They had a program on TV the other week about people keeping bees on their roof in a city illegally,i think it was New Your city. Anyways there was a big fine if they got caught. I can see problems with it,like millions of bees flying around the city stinging people,especially if they are africanized bees. I mean they would have to fly a long way to gather enough honey if there were a few thousand hives in a city.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 09:46:13 am »
Do you really think there is a stinging threat?  Foragers have no interest in humans and would rather run away than sting.

Its the non beekeeping person who is messing around with the hive on the roof that has a problem.

You mentioned about people keeping them "illegally" so the question becomes how do we make it legal or how do you comply with existing laws.

I think you've got this idea that as soon as a city becomes a city plant life, flowers, and food sources for bees cease to exist in abundance, but I just don't think that's the case.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 07:22:17 pm »
Wowwwww...What the ?????????????Sorry...I can't comment on this!
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 11:07:17 pm »
hahaha, then why did you?

Be honest, do you people think I'm nuts or something?  Doesn't this seem like a feasible idea?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 11:34:12 pm »
I for one do not think you ere nuts, maybe a little eccentric  :-D Its nice to see that someone can think outside the box. If you can sell the idea of provisions in the design of a singe building or a community of buildings to a architect to include beekeeping, I would have to think it is a win,win. The bees would not have to be kept on the roofs, necessarily but it would probably be the safest for the bees because it would be out of sight, out of mind to the public that could cause problems.

anything