Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your state's inspection program?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
What is your state's inspection program?
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »
Can someone for each state answer the following?

1) Does your state have an inspection program?

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

bigbearomaha

Re: What is your state's inspection program?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:43:38 pm »
From what  I see in Nebraska laws, inspection is voluntary.  One makes a request to have an inspection.

It seems anyone can request an inspection.

The last  I read, the fee depends on a number of colonies/hives.  As in the Nebraska Revised Statute 81-2,174

the Nebraska Apiary Act not to exceed the following amounts:
Two hundred dollars for the inspection of two hundred fifty colonies or less;
two hundred fifty dollars for the inspection of two hundred fifty-one through five hundred colonies;
three hundred fifty dollars for the inspection of five hundred one through one thousand colonies;
and four hundred fifty dollars for the inspection of more than one thousand colonies.

Such certificate shall also state the date of inspection and shall continue in force for one year unless revoked for cause:.
Nebraska Revised Statute 81-2,173

These quotes are from the State of Nebraska online website listing state statutes.

Big Bear

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:50:39 pm »
Here in Fl we have a mandatory registration with the State wherein they inspect your hives and issue a registration number that is to be posted on all hives (upper left corner). They're not too strict about posting the numbers, but it's a good idea to have at least one hive marked. They inspect yearly and fee schedule is as follows:

Number of colonies               Fees
1-5                                     $10
6-40                                    $20
41-200                                 $40
201-500                               $70
501-over                             $100

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:28:19 pm »
>1) Does your state have an inspection program?

Sort of.  There are no routine inspections and if one is not required by the laws of some other state (none are ever required by Nebraska) then you can request and pay the fee.  Mine are inspected every year and it costs me $150.

>2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?

Neither.  It is a service you pay for, not volunteer for...

>3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?

They only inspect if you are selling to a state that requires an inspection.  It doesn't matter if you are a hobbyist or commercial.

>4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?

$150 to inspect my queen breeding yard.

>5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?

Only when requested and paid for.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 08:01:39 pm »
Maryland

1) Does your state have an inspection program?   Yes.

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?     Mandatory for each hive with one Certificate per Beekeeper per year.

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?  Do not know for sure about how the commercial is handled. I am not at that level yet.

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?  Have not needed to be inspected. If you sell packages they have to be inspected before they leave the state. The same as when the come into the state, they must have a inspection before entering Maryland.

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?  The inspections can be at random if the Inspector wants to do a inspection. A requested inspection if you suspect any type of disease. Our Inspector has a dog that can sniff out FB spores.

Thank you.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:28 am »
Voluntary registration entitles one to info on any spraying to be done

No inspections

No fees

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:03:46 am »

1) Does your state have an inspection program?   For NJ, YES

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?  mandatory

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?  YES

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?  No Fees, but there are fines !

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?   For those who are commercial shall be inspected twice a year including those selling Queens. Hobbyists can request an inspection, but they have to wait, there is only one paid Inspector and one Volunteer.

Thank you.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:14:19 am »

New Hampshire

Yes
voluntary
Yes
4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?
Five dollars ($5.00) per inspection.
Only when requested

https://www.nh.gov/agric/divisions/plant_industry/index.htm
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/agr1800.html

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline mdaniels

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:43 am »
1) Does your state have an inspection program?  PA--yes, but state inspector position just cut out of new state budget.  Not sure what will happen now.

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?  Mandatory.

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?  Yes.

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation? $5

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?  Each year.

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:01:04 am »
North Dakota

1) Does your state have an inspection program?  Yes

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration? Annually: Mandatory registration of beeyard locations - costs nothing; Mandatory beekeepers license - cost $5; Prevention of disease fee - 0.15/colony; Honey Promotion fee - (1-20 colonies - $1/colony)

Inspections are voluntary and only happen if you request them.

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?  Both

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation?  I don't know if there are also fees for inspection.

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?  When requested.

North Dakota also requires an entrance permit to bring bees into the state - I did not have any trouble getting it without an inspection (probably because I was bringing in only one hive).  The permit costs $5/hive with or without inspection.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 03:38:46 pm »
Arkansas

Voluntary in apiary
Mandatory if moving hives and certificate if entering or leaving state
Either way the inspection is good for six months moving within the state

Hobbiest and Commercial

Free

As requested by beekeeper if permanent site

Beeyard registaration is mandatory and free

Apiary Laws are currently being studied for change, the board, to my knowledge has no beekeepers at all sitting.  We are encouraged to write suggestions and keep in mind we are talking to folks with no beekeeping background and to word it that way.  The State Apiary Section have been doing roadshows at local clubs on request to make available what the proposed new laws look like.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53:53 pm »
Ohio
1)  Yes

2)  Mandatory

3)  Both

4)  $5/Apiary/year.  Must Obtain a "Queen Certificate" to sell bees or queens the cost of which is free.  Bees must bee inspected for crossing State lines either way every time they are going to cross.

5) They are supposed to be inspected every year.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:04:03 am »
North Carolina

Yes.

Voluntary.

Both.

No fees.

Upon request.  If you sell bees or bring bees into the State, an inspection is mandatory before the sale or move.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Arlo

• Brood
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 12:24:23 pm »
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap264.htm
Here is what I found on Missouri.

Arlo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:05:44 pm by buzzbee »

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 12:40:12 pm »
In IL we have one, it is manditory

Its Free

They do both commercial and the backyard

Inspections are done every year

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:29 pm »
Can someone for each state answer the following?  newyork

1) Does your state have an inspection program?   yes

2) Is it voluntary or mandatory registration?   mandatory they want to know address of each apiary

3) Do they do both commercial and hobbyist inspections?  yes

4) What are the fees? Are they a one time fee or per inspection, per yard, or fee based on number of hives in the operation? no fees. 

5) Do they inspect every year, every other year, or only when requested?  every year and when requested.. 

Other interesting aspects of NYS inspection program.  They do a nosema check and if they find your apiary has nosema they send off a second sample to determine which type.  Overall not a bad program as its cost effective for the beek!!!

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 07:45:49 pm »
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 03:40:58 am »
Down here in my state Victoria, Australia..

yes

voluntary but you are supposed to be licensed and if you send a honey sample each year it is tested for free and you get a reduction on your license fee. I pay 15 bucks a year for 2 hives instead of 18 bucks.

yes, you can ring up and they will come out and have a look at your one hive in the backyard, otherwise they will never visit a hobby keeper. Commercial operators are inspected more thoroughly and often.

Annual fee, based on the number of hives up to 200 or so, then you fall into a category that I am not privy too. 1 or 2 hives, 15 bucks then something like a sliding scale, each additional hive after 50 or so, 40 cents each.

You send a 100ml or so plastic sample jar to the govt dept every year, they send it to you with a pre paid pack to put it in, photo instructions on exactly what they want to see in the jar. Goes straight to the lab, a private company. About a month later you get back the results. If your sample is positive, they would come around and make sure it was treated or destroyed if you had AHB or Varroa etc., otherwise, a hobbyist wouldnt see an inspector in a life time unless they called one. Commercial operators would have good relationships with the dept of agriculture, have to submit reports on where hives are and are going etc, they would face regular random checks and their processing plants would be checked by a few agencies as would their honey. We all rely on them and customs to keep us free of pests and diseases. So theres no reason down here not to cooperate as much as possible.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 12:20:40 am »
Voluntary
you need to request an inspection and at this point no fee
The president of my county beeclub is just moving into an inspectors position, the branch is undergoing some changes right now.
He has not been charging for inspections.
I will update this info when I talk to him this week.