Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when you catch the queen???  (Read 1927 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
when you catch the queen???
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:37:27 pm »
I usually end up accidently sweeping up the poor queen.  When I catch her, how long do I leave her in the catcher, or do I? Is it a good idea to leave her in overnight to get the workers oriented before they, including her, abscond? 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: when you catch the queen???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
If she is a known mated queen you could keep her caged for several days but the problem is the bees will attach comb to the cage or catcher. Let her out three days max and all should be good.

Virgins need to be let out within two days so they can mate. You don't want to wind up with a drone layer.

I often leave queens caged a few days.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »
I leave her in the hair clip catcher (or if you don't have one, then cage her) for a few days until they get settled in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:39:16 am »
I guess I have been lucky that the 2 swarms I hived this week did not abscond.  I didn't know you would all keep the queen caged.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:53:03 am »
That really helps.  Thanks to both of you for the input.  Annette, I was not sure either.  My swarms have not absconded, but a cutout or two has.  Sometimes I am unlucky....:)
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

anything