Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How are your Mites doing so far this year?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Adam Foster Collins

• House Bee
  • Sweetness and Light
    • The BeeNut Gallery
How are your Mites doing so far this year?
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »
Regardless of whether you treat or not, I'm wondering how each of your mite levels are this year, or if you have a sense of that yet. Perhaps you use specific methods for monitoring; perhaps you're more of a "feel" person in the mite department. Whatever approach you use, I'd like to know where you think their numbers are at.

This has been a slow season in terms of weather here. Some plants are almost a month behind. I wonder if mites have "up years" and "down years" overall, and whether or not this has been a "good season" or a bad one for mite loads far and wide.

So how are your mites doing so far this year?

Adam
My "Bee-Shirt" designs: The BeeNut Gallery
My Company: Violet Design
My NGO: Threads of Peru

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: How are your Mites doing so far this year?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:41 pm »
Must not be doing too good since the bees are really strong.  Probably not gonna worry about it with them building up like they have been. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:30:50 am »
Have done 72-hour mite drops to a sticky board on most of my hives over the last 3 weeks.  None had more than 12 mites on the board.  My two overwintered colonies had 2 and 5 mites, respectively, on the board after 72 hours.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:56:01 am »
This time last year I was fighting a very bad mite infestation on my first year package hive, 120-140 for a 24-hr-drop count.  Saw lots of DWV, even dead pupa in front of the hive. Did powdered sugar shakes and eventually had to go to Apiguard. Hive was OK after the Apiguard treatment and made it through the winter fine.

This year I have 3 hives and I haven't seen one DWV case so far.  I usually take pictures during my inspections and study them later.  I have seen an occasional mite clinging to a bee body, but very, very few, and no DWV on bees crawling on frames in the hive or outside the hive.  I haven't even bothered to do a mite count.
linda d

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
Right now i have lots.  In the next week 85-95% of them will be dead

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
Just finished our second 72 hour sticky board check on the hives. We had one for all the hives the fist check and none this time. We will run one more about the third week in September.

Our neighbor, did a check last week and had 35 in their one hive. We are not sure why the big difference. We are about a mile apart, his are at the edge of some trees and ours are in the open. We did feed differently (I used some F-B and he did not) but we do not think that is it. BTW my colonies are healthier/larger in general then his.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

anything