Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Heya from central Texas!  (Read 6475 times)

Offline DaneDodger

• New Bee
Heya from central Texas!
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:22:57 am »
I just wanted to say hi before I run off to see what all I can learn here!  Just next week my husband, four children, and slew of critters will be moving out of the trailer park from hades and into our very own, first, real home complete with 12.5 acres!!!!!  Years ago I had the opportunity to visit a collection of bee hives each day that were kept on a relative's land and found it strangely peaceful and relaxing.  There were so many bees all over the place but they didn't seem to mind me a bit and it was lovely watching them or laying a hand or cheek on top of their boxes to feel them humming away inside.  Now that I'll finally have my own little bit of land I'm carefully exploring and planning out what I want to do there and one thing I'm interested in is beekeeping.  I'm a huge animal lover so I want to learn the right way to do things rather than have the poor bees suffer for my ignorance.  Is there anyone close to Lampasas, Tx that would be willing to teach a raw beginner?  Until then I'll just run along and see what I can learn from all the great posts here!
Jenn B.
central Texas

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Heya from central Texas!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:05:04 am »
Congratulations on your new home and on finding Beemaster forums.
You will find the answers to most of your questions here,and if not ,don;'t be afraid to ask. people here are always willing to lend a helping hand!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:28:04 am »
Jenn, welcome to our forum, you share the same name as my youngest Daughter, what a beautiful name.....

Wow!!!  So you have bought some acreage, what a wonderful and glorious thing.  Owning a hunk of land (and I might say 12.5 acres is a hunk!!  we own 5, and that is a good size, but sometimes now I wish it was bigger, hee, hee).  You have had your initiation in the world of bees, you have felt that peace and calm when you have visited the bees, as you were saying.  Well, you ain't seen nothin' yet, wait until you get your own bees, now that is a little piece of heaven in itself.

This is a wonderful place for you to learn, and you have lots to learn, we all have lots to learn.  So many members here are ones that have kept bees almost all of their lives, and this goes all the way up to the new beekeepers, and the ones that are just learning before they plunge into the fascinating world of the honeybee.  Spend as much time as you can, you will be busy with the move, but make this a place where you can ask questions, learn, and learn some more.  All questions will receive answers, and never think a question is dumb, all questions are important.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, love this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:02:50 am »
Many welcomes to you, glad to see you here! You will learn about bees and other things and make new friends along the way.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DaneDodger

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:23:38 pm »
Thank you for the welcomes  :)  I've found a beekeeping group not as close to home as I'd hoped but certainly close enough to make their monthly meetings.  They start each meeting with classes which should be very helpful for me.  I plan to go tonight so I'm excited!  My dear husband even wants to go with me so is giving up his regular Tues night out with the guys to learn more about beekeeping!! :shock:  For anyone in the central Texas area this group's website is: http://www.wcaba.org/index.html  (You should be able to find it easily enough in a search engine though under Williamson County Area Beekeepers Association)

I have to say though that after reading the tutorials and some of the logs at Beemaster's and the forums here I feel like I have enough knowledge that I have some confidence going into this meeting tonight.  At least I'll have SOME small grasp of terms, tools, procedures and such.  I've looked at loads of beekeeping sites trying to learn a little and haven't found any other site near as informative as these!!  Thanks so much for that  :-*
Jenn B.
central Texas
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:44:02 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40:31 am »
Jenn, yeah! Yeah! yea!!  Good for you, have a wonderful and awesome day, in this beautiful life.  Hope you and your Husband enjoyed the meeting.  Cidi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DaneDodger

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:02:26 pm »
The meeting was very nice!  I was just thrilled that the first part of the meeting, which was the beginner's lessons, was all stuff that I already learned on these sites!!  So I must be doing ok so far, yay!  The second part was a more advanced type class on requeening.  It was new info for me so I was glad to get it but I did know enough to keep up with what they were saying, yay again!  It was also very nice to get to see and handle some of the equipment so that I could better understand how it all fits together and works.  I think I'm actually starting to get a teensy bit of a handle on all of this!
Jenn B.
central Texas

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:59:13 pm »
it's always good to get as much knowledge as you can before you need it.  even if some of what you learn in class is over your head, it will click in when something happens in your hives.  i think it's great to see all the women getting into beekeeping.  i had no idea when i started that there would be so many.  i had only met guys that kept bees.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:26 pm »
Kathy, I know what you mean about woman beekeepers.  There was only a few of us in that gender on our forum, now it seems like there are more coming on all the time, yeah!!!  Where would this world be without us women stickin' together (OK, I know I'm gonna get slammed for that comment, hee, hee, tough tiddy said the kiddy,  :-P :-P :-P).  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, awesome life.  Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:56:01 pm »
One of the things I so much enjoy about this forum are all the woman here. It is very exciting to me to see how many new women are getting into beekeeping. Someday a woman will design a bee suit that is more feminine. I have some thoughts in mind about adding some lace here and there (only kidding).

Seriously though welcome to the forum Jenn and good luck. I started my beekeeping journey three years ago and it has been a wonderful and challenging hobby. When the bees have what they need, then I have peace. There are ups and downs, but you will learn lots and also about yourself.

The bees keep me grounded and happy.
Good luck to you.
Annette from Placerville California

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:19:46 am »
Something like this? 

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:25:44 am »
Oh yea, JP, that's all kinds of protection!  :shock: :lol:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
Oh yea, JP, that's all kinds of protection!  :shock: :lol:

The bees would just love you up in an outfit like that! :-D The drones would anyway! :evil: :-* :-* :-*

....JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 08:32:07 am »
Here's another one:

....JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 10:06:45 am »
JP, you dah man!!!  Where the blazes do you come up with all this stuff, hee, hee.

Annette, go for it, become the designer of the designer bee suits for women.  I bet a small fortune could be made with that.  You know how us women love these prissy little things, well, I know that I do.....hee, hee, smiling, have this beautiful and wonderful day to hold in the palm of your hands.  Cindi

Offline DaneDodger

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
ROFLMAO!!!  Thanks for the added welcomes and morning laugh!  Forget the drones, I might have to beat my husband off with a stick in one of those outfits to even make it out to the bees!

I didn't know that women beekeepers were in the minority.  Why is that?  It won't be a first for me though.  People think it's fascinating that Eric scuba dives but usually give me a slightly odd look when they learn that I do too because it's another where males are seen as the norm.  I also do the hunting and fishing while Eric does the cooking.  Oh well it's a good thing I gave up on society's version of "normal" long ago I guess! LOL  

We women do need to stick together Cindi!  I'm proud to add myself to the ranks of female beekeepers and stand with the rest of my sisters!  Viva la resistance! LOL
Jenn B.
central Texas

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:44 am »
Yes it is a very nice thing to see you women here. Beekeeping is not about gender, besides ya'll look pretty cute in those outfits. Yes, bring on the suits with lace!!!

....JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:55 am »
Jenn, hee haw!!!  Excellent!!!  So you SCUBA too, and hunt, my kind of woman!!!  Great.  I find that the female beekeepers on our forum are pretty unique, and as I get to know each of them better, the more I can to get to know them better.  Interesting stories to tell and definitely not the norm as far as I can tell.   Yes, sisters, I love that word, the connotation is beautiful, it conjures up some wonderful pictures in my mind.  I love my sibling Sisters, they are my special friends, and we are unusual too. We are not the normal gals, we are all farmy type, tough, ready to attack anything we do with gusto!!!  Yep, yep, yep!!!  Sisters......be they blood or friend....have a wonderful and groovey day, groovin' and lovin' our lives.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 10:25:46 am »
JP, all we need to do is get Annette's butt in gear and become the international clothing designer, she could make enough money to buy lots more bees and boxes, hee, hee, Annette, come on, what's holdin' you up.  When you recover from your surgery, you will have all the time in the world, not......have a beautiful, great and awesome life, groovey, groovy.....Cindi

anything