Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen in late November?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Pollen in late November?
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:00:27 pm »
I'm watching one of my hives and noticing a fair amount of orange pollen coming into the hive.  I find it difficult to believe that after two significant snowstorms here in Denver area (30 inches about 3 weeks ago and another 12 inches last week) that they actually can find more pollen even though it is 60 degrees (F) today.  Is it possible that the workers are robbing from somewhere?  I don't think so, but just wondering.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pollen in late November?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:49:09 pm »
Probably some plants still have some pollen on them even though they died in the frost.  That and I've seen dandelions blooming here a couple of days ago.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:05:10 am »
My bees were also bringing in an orange pollen yesterday.  We're in Virginia.  My wife thinks it's the mums everybody puts on their porches this time of year.  Yet, all the blooms are frost killed and dry.  I, myself, do not know but can check them to see if there is activity around them.  At 57 degrees today I'll be looking all over the yard to find the culprit.
Make Mead!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »
I found marigolds in the neighbor's yard.  Same color as the pollen.  I'm surprised to see they're still blooming.
Make Mead!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:15:11 pm »
 Just keep in mind that the pollen is not necessarily the same color as the bloom.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »
@ rast,

Good point.  You're right of course.  But my neighbors still have marigolds blooming in their yard.  :-D

The one colony doesn't seem to be bringing in pollen.  Could I grab a field bee and put her on a pollen source (bloom).  Would she communicate the location to the rest of the field bees?

Am I hijacking this thread?  I'm sorry.
Make Mead!

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:17:13 am »
Dont forget about the Camelia bushes......last year I think some of my varieties waited until January to bloom....but this year, they are bursting wide open now, and will probably continue to bloom into January. Gotta love it, and they are getting so big...must be 10 feet tall. :mrgreen:

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:08 am »
We had a few unusually warm days here in Massachusetts a couple of weeks ago, and I saw my bees bringing in (orange) pollen by the bushel. I was surprised because we'd already had frost. But apparently something survived.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »
Workers cannot rob pollen from other colonies....can they?

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 12:21:04 pm »
I'm in NE OH, and also have bees still bringing back some orange pollen. I have a lot of goldenrod near me, and think that's where they are getting it from.
Alan

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 01:09:26 pm »
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything