Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with honeycomb?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline kenglert

• New Bee
What to do with honeycomb?
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »
Hey guys.  This is my 2nd year beekeeping.  I installed my package last week.  I have a 10 frame hive body, but I put a feeder in that took the place of 2 frames.  I also left the queen in her cage with a marshmallow in the hole.  I put this in between 2 frames but I wasn't able to get another frame in so I had 7 frames in the hive body.  I was unable to check on them during the weeks because of cold and rain here in Kansas.  Anyway, I finally checked them today and they are doing great!!  My only question is, when I removed the queen cage, the bees had build a decent amount of comb to fill the void between of the missing frame.  I removed this comb to get the frame in, my question is, what do I do with the comb now.  Did I screw up by removing it?? 
Thanks.
btw, I didn't do an extensive inspection because it was still a little cool here (low 50's) but I know the queen was not in the comb

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: What to do with honeycomb?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
I put my scraps in a can to melt down later. some of it I mix and try in swarm traps.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:15:34 am »
If it's big enough and if it has brood in it, I might tie it into a frame and put it back in.  If it's not big enough to do that, I scrap it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:07 pm »
If there is nothing in it, keep it to show people what comb looks like.   If there is honey in it, let the bees clean it up by laying it outside on top of the hive.   Or just give it to the kids to eat.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »
To the woods  :-D
John 3:16