Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you belong to a club?  (Read 2696 times)

Anonymous

Do you belong to a club?
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:12:16 am »
:) I've been a member of a club for a year now.  :) The club is one month older than my membership. It was still in the planing stages when I joined. We only have one officer a treasuer, who also acts as the chairman during meetings. We have a six member planing board, made up of two more experinced (5 years or more)beekeepers, two intermediet members with a year or more experince (includes me) and two members who are brand new, one of which couldn't get any bees last year but worked the club hives with the more experinace members, chosing not to except a offered swarm.
The planing board, decides what we are going to dicuss at the next meeting, how many and where we are going to get bees for the clubs hives, a list of how we are going to spend the clubs funds so it can be put to a vote by the members. How we will raise some funds also.

The club extracted 120 pounds of honey from two colonies started last spring as 3 pound packages. We sold the honey to the nature center who inturn sells it from their store.
We have members who have 500 colonies over 3 counties to now two member with no bees at all getting their first ones this spring.
The clubs bee yard is getting expanded by two more colonies this spring as a result of donated equipment.

:D I am still a beekeeper because of belonging to a club and members recueing me. One going above and beound the call and one of my best friends now.

We have a web site I just discovered which hasn't been kept up. Since I do all the electronic notices I have tried to find out who started it and tried to get them to up date it since the dates are a year old.
http://www.geocities.com/sevenponds/beekeepers.html

Still working on that small problem.
 :D Al

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Do you belong to a club?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:37:57 am »
This is some of my club members, who meet every week in the summer for training sessions, in beginner, basic, intermediate and advanced categories. Beginners are (as you'd expect) doing stuff like finding queens, varroa control etc, advanced do anything they like, but stuff like queen raising etc.

The club runs a swarm collection service, winter evening classes for beginners, monthly club nights with guest speakers (for all members) and summer outapiary practical training. Visits to members apiaries, and to bee farmers, and a range of other activities complete the line up.

The logs in the foreground, contain a colony of bees! The club hives are behind the fencing.

We have a club solar wax extractor, large flamer, several extractors, many smokers, bee suits etc and a library of books

Adam

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Do you belong to a club?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:54:51 am »
I belong to the Richmond Beekeepers Association.
It's great to have the local information and its nice to talk to local people face to face.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Do you belong to a club?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:02:35 am »
Yes, I joined the club even before I had bees, so that I could get some hands-on experience with them.  That first time that I held a frame of bees in my bare hands, I knew for sure I wanted to do this. It was just too amazing to me. Bees, brood, capped honey, I was hooked on what these little bigs were doing!
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Do you belong to a club?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 08:49:27 am »
I am joining the LLBKA. I went to my first meeting the other night, loved it!!! Bye :D
Ryan Horn