Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buckwheat seed  (Read 6733 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
Buckwheat seed
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:22:13 pm »
I live in Louisiana ,looking for a small amout of buckwheat seed ,as none of the local seed dealers stock it. My wife did a search with the closes available place was N.Y. Shipping has become too expensive to recieve from that far away. Any help here? Thanks ,Jimmy

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Buckwheat seed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:36:02 pm »
check farm supply stores.  one of mine was willing to order some in with their regular seed order.  later, i found a feed store that carries it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »
Jimmy if you find somewhere local let me know. I have been looking for it as well and no luck so far. If I find a supplier I will let you know.

Keith

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:26:40 pm »
I get my seed here in Wichita at Valley Feed and Seed.  If they don't have it they will order it for you.  The buckwheat they sell is really bird feed but it sprouts and grows well and makes honey.

Valley Feed and Seed
1-800-658-1775
Ask for Terry, he knows Bullseye Bill...

Make sure he knows it is for planting and that he personally checks it for weevils before shipping it to you.  I hadn't had a problem with weevils, but I saw some deer corn last fall that was crawling.  :eek:

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:09:19 am »
Thanks everyone. I believe I have found a source.  I ordered from Valley feed and seed in Kansas. 10# w/shipping $21.40
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:15:51 pm by jimmy »

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:11:45 am »
Hey Swabby!  Glad to be of service!  Tell em hi over there...

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »
I get mine from a local feed store, it was $39 a 50#bag last year, still got half a bag left, noticed one thing about it, they covered it in the mornings but after 10am they did touch it. I plant mine in June when the dearth is about to hit.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:59:44 pm »
TWT: That seems ood to me ,they don't touch it after 10:a m.  I used to do hay in my other life ,as I recall the sugars in grasses are are just comming up ,hence , after noon is best time to cut hay and trap those protiens .

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:29:39 pm »
during the hot summer months it seems the nectar is only there in the morning time, when it gets hot they don't touch it here in Ga. , went out there about 100 times in the last few years and nothing after 10am, I just thought once the temp got up it dryed up the nectar, these have been over 90 degree days, remeber I plant it in the end of june here, water it also (sprinklers in the evening time)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:55 am »
during the hot summer months it seems the nectar is only there in the morning time, when it gets hot they don't touch it here in Ga. , went out there about 100 times in the last few years and nothing after 10am, I just thought once the temp got up it dryed up the nectar, these have been over 90 degree days, remeber I plant it in the end of june here, water it also (sprinklers in the evening time)

What you observed is exactly what my honey plants book says;
"The flowers of buckwheat secrete nectar usually only in the morning; toward noon the flow lessens and ceases entirely for the afternoon, but begins again vigorously the next morning........................but in the Province of Quebec about Sept 1st the flowers bloom later in the day, and much of the honey may be stored in the afternoon.  But the bloom yields only a few hours a day.  The flowers are blasted by high temperatures, especially by hot sunshine after showers".

I'm pretty sure I've seen this with other nectar sources as well.  The girls seem to concentrate on one direction leaving the hive in the morning and when I check them in the afternoon they are going after something else.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:40 pm »
This is true about the buckwheat. Yields nectar in the mornings and can sometimes yield again towards the later part of the day as the temperatures cool.  Have a great, most wonderful day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:43 pm »
Jimmy,

I found a source for seed here in LA. It is in Clinton, LA.
Feliciana Farmers CO-OP
11947 Jackson Street
They will get seed in the first week of March 50# bag for $40.00

Keith