Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees wanted in NW Pennsylvania  (Read 9581 times)

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
Bees wanted in NW Pennsylvania
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:41 am »
Greetings all!

I am just getting started in beekeeping after having researched the hobby for years. I am in the process of building my own hives and I am trying to locate some bees that are within 2 hours or so of Butler PA 16001. I am starting out small, so two packages or their equivalent would be ideal!

Thanks in advance!

Aengus
Regards,
Aengus

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Bees wanted in NW Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54:13 am »
Hi there,
          I don't know anything about your area or how far you are from Lewisberry but another member is located there and he sells nucs, Bjorn Apiaries.
Look him up on this forum and send him a message check out his website, his info will be there.
Good luck!

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
Hi natalie,
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately he is over 4 hours away from me. I was hoping to find something closer.

Aengus
Regards,
Aengus

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:12:40 pm »
I do not know of anyone out that way but if you want bees this year you need to get them ordered very soon. Most places run out very quickly. If you wait to long you could be disappointed. Check with local clubs someone may be able to help you get started with a split or help you "catch" a swarm or something  if you are not able to get a package or nuc this year.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:57 pm »
check out kutik's honey farm.  I think that they will be close enough.  They have a website and sell nucs.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:24:21 am »
I do not know of anyone out that way but if you want bees this year you need to get them ordered very soon. Most places run out very quickly. If you wait to long you could be disappointed. Check with local clubs someone may be able to help you get started with a split or help you "catch" a swarm or something  if you are not able to get a package or nuc this year.

Thanks for the advice Greg, I hope to find something soon. I have tried to locate local clubs, but the ones I found on the net are inactive. I am going to try the agricultruial extension office next. Maybe I will have better luck there.
Regards,
Aengus

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:02 am »
check out kutik's honey farm.  I think that they will be close enough.  They have a website and sell nucs.

justgojumpit

Thanks for the response. I tried the website, but I can only find pricing information from 2006-2007 :(
Regards,
Aengus

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 05:21:12 pm »
The website is very out of date.  Try the phone number!  I forgot the price, but I think it's around $85 or so for a nuc this year.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »
I'd reconsider the 4 hour drive to Bjorn's place. I got my first nuc off him, I guess it was about four years back now. Great guy. I still use the nuc box he gave me to transport the nuc.

Offline Balhanapi

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
Hi Aengus,
I live close to you. I had sent you a message maybe u didn't get it. Anyway there are a couple of options I can tell u about.
or maybe we can work something out about Bjorn's nucs. :)
Never stop learning.

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »
Hi Aengus,
I live close to you. I had sent you a message maybe u didn't get it. Anyway there are a couple of options I can tell u about.
or maybe we can work something out about Bjorn's nucs. :)

I wrote to Bjorn earlier and he told me he was not taking orders for overwintered nucs anymore :(

If you have other sources, I would love to hear about them.

BTW - I responded to your message 2 days ago. I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks!

Aengus
Regards,
Aengus

Offline Balhanapi

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »
I dunno whats with the pm's. U can just email me I guess.
Thanks
Never stop learning.

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:14:50 pm »
Aengus, I live in Franklin...about an hour north of you as I'm sure you will know.  Montgomery's Apiaries is up here just about a mile outside of town.  He's a good guy and has taught me a lot.  I got a nuc off of him last year and plan on at least another one this year.  (I just got started last year.)  Let me know if you're interested and I can get you more info.

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:27 am »
I am very interested. Please get me his contact information. Thanks! :-D
Regards,
Aengus

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:15 am »
Montgomery's Apiaries is located about one mile north of Franklin on Route 417.  The owners/operators are Rankin Montgomery and his wife, Robin Montgomery.  The phone number for their home is 814-432-4068.  I don't believe there is phone at the honey house (on Rt. 417).  I just talked with him two days ago to secure a couple nucs for myself this coming spring and he said that he just got another order from another guy for 5 nucs in the spring.  I believe he said that he would be selling about 20 nucs total.  I told him that he might be getting a call from Butler and he said sure.  He's currently in Georgia.  He took a load of bees down and should be back this week.  I believe Robin is still up here.  They're good people and were really helpfull getting me and several others around here up and running with bees.   

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:03:11 pm »
Thanks for sharing this information! I will be calling them tonight!
Aengus
Regards,
Aengus

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:59 pm »
I tried calling, but got the answering machine. I left a message, hopefully they will get back to me.

Thanks again for your help mswartfager!
Regards,
Aengus

Offline Balhanapi

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »
You can also try Lee Miller in beaver county ph 7245442900. He is a really helpful fellow. He will be going down south and getting packages.
Never stop learning.

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:07 am »
You could try a post on the NW Pa Bee Association page. There are a couple of people that do sell good bees that survive our winters. Great people, you are close, you might even considering joining, I think they meet in Edinboro.
this site would not lit me post the link PM me and I will send it to you.
Damon

Offline wm

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 07:17:13 pm »
I wonder if those of you with information might be kind enough to PM it to me, too- I'm near Meadville and am looking to get started this year. (I only hope I'm not too late!)

Thanks!

anything