Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Robbing Question  (Read 1955 times)

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
Another Robbing Question
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:40 pm »
About a week ago I captured a swarm in my front yard...3.5 gallons of bees...set them up in two deeps with 16 new frames, 3 with brood/egg/pollen and 1 with honey.

They were doing great...very strong and showing good orientation flights for a few days then normal activity in and out of the hive.

I set them up close to our screened in porch off the back of the house so I could keep a close eye on them. 

It started yesterday...what I believe is Robbing...a lot of bees flying just outside of the hive flying in and out...frantic movement on the outside walls and "clumps" of bees falling to the ground every 10 seconds or so...

They have literally created a "bee highway" that comes from and to the hive...towards the porch roof and goes right over the house towards 2 of my hives in the front yard...its quite amazing to see and hear.

From everything I've read...I should close up the hive I think is getting robbed to the smallest hole for defense reasons...is there anything else I should do?

I find it amazing that bees find the need to Rob in the first place...I know the hive I suspect is doing the Robbing is strong...

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Another Robbing Question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »
They will, and to a hive that you may think is strong.  Last fall I lost a hive that had been a big hive.  When out to check on yard and they were all robbing the one, the hives were on a concrete slab, dead bees everywhere.  Had another one this spring.  I found the one this spring early in the robbing closed the hive almost completely, left an entrance of about 3/4 X 3/4 in.   They were still finished the next day.  Hope you have better luck.

Joe

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:19:46 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »
here in Michigan it is our biggest flow and they are working not robbing.  Star Thistle is is bloom everywhere along with milkweed, basswood, sumac and many more. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 06:19:28 pm »
Yes, in big flow bees do not touch honey even if you put it openly on ground.

They may rob in the morning but then they go to flowers.

My balance hive brought 9 kg today. It is biggest amount in this summer.
Second biggest is 7 kg.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:34 pm »
robbers act guilty.  they dart around a lot.  sounds like you have field bees working to me. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »
I can guarantee that robbing at this time of the year here in Michigan is about impossible.

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »
Wow...thanks for the advice...I never would've guessed...its the only hive acting like that out of 10.

Offline jeepjivenwale

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:45 pm »
I take that back...the other hive acting the same way is in front of the house...I can see "the bee road" coming from their hive over the house towards the swarm hive...

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:14 am »
swarms always work harder.  they are trying to make up for lost time.